Exhaust Pipe Flap Valve Thingy

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
MacJ

Re: Exhaust Pipe Flap Valve Thingy

Post by MacJ »

BMW have agreed to pay for the parts if I pay for the labour which I'm happy with. It's booked in for 10th July. Result I think.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MacJ wrote: BMW have agreed to pay for the parts if I pay for the labour which I'm happy with. It's booked in for 10th July. Result I think.

Good result, because if you make a contribution, the exhaust gets another 2 year guarantee. Labour wise, it will only be an hour I would think
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

I'm having this issue with mine (2011 LE) at the moment and I'm waiting on the by pass pipe coming to see if that helps.
Meet The New Boss, Same As The Old Boss
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

juniorswailing wrote: I'm having this issue with mine (2011 LE) at the moment and I'm waiting on the by pass pipe coming to see if that helps.

The problem on the LC is there is no bypass pipe the flap thingy is now built into the headers - genius  8)
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

Job was done yesterday. The removed valve was jammed solid and I doubt even a sledgehammer would have freed it!!

So far the bike is running much more smoothly with only a slightly noticeable increase in exhaust noise.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Does it follow that once the valve starts squeaking it will inevitably become stuck?  Mine has been squeaking for some time. I reported it to the dealer who  greased it, but the squeak is starting to return. As I am coming to the end of the two year warranty, should I be more insistent that the dealer takes more positive action?
juniorswailing

Post by juniorswailing »

For me it started off with a rough idkr, then hunting then cutting out
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

mhr43 wrote: Does it follow that once the valve starts squeaking it will inevitably become stuck?  Mine has been squeaking for some time. I reported it to the dealer who  greased it, but the squeak is starting to return. As I am coming to the end of the two year warranty, should I be more insistent that the dealer takes more positive action?

I had no indication, except the dealer reported it as a fault code when I went for a service. It costs £1200 for new headers, so you might want to insist  8)
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Mine's in on Monday for the fix. I'll be interested to see if there's any appreciable change in performance.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MacJ wrote: Mine's in on Monday for the fix. I'll be interested to see if there's any appreciable change in performance.

There won't be!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

So, if the exhaust valve fails on a post-2014 model, is there an alternative "fix" to replacing the full header assembly ?  Could the valve section be cut out and a link pipe fabricated and put in it's place ?  What would have to be done with the control assembly ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Casbar wrote:
There won't be!

That's what I expected from the previous posts. My only real reason for pursuing this is the possibility of it affecting the resale value of the bike.

Anyone any idea of the labour time (and hence the cost) to replace the exhaust system?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: So, if the exhaust valve fails on a post-2014 model, is there an alternative "fix" to replacing the full header assembly ?  Could the valve section be cut out and a link pipe fabricated and put in it's place ?  What would have to be done with the control assembly ?

No, no option but to either, bosh it out, or leave it, if its stuck open. Or replace with aftermarket headers, The tech when I had mine done, said if BMW wouldn't replace, just leave it, but it may impact re-sale as they will know when you have the bike plugged into their computer. You could just disconnect the cables and then the flap wouldn't throw a fault if it doesn't move.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Sneaky!!!!!

MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Just dropped the bike off at the dealer to have the new system fitted.
The bike is currently under an extended Insured BMW warranty. This apparently does not cover the exhaust system but BMW have agreed to supply the parts as 'Goodwill' provided I pay for the labour which is fine by me.
When I dropped the bike off I was told that I will also have to pay £100 excess on the warranty claim?????
'But it's not a warranty claim' says I, 'its a goodwill job by BMW'.
'But we still claim it back from BMW as a warranty claim' says they?????
I've read the warranty document and I don't follow as the warranty is issued by Allianz not BMW.
I feel a complaint to BMW customer services coming on!