Scissor jack to lift front wheel

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Scissor jack to lift front wheel

Post by timminator »

Need to remove front wheel to get tire replaced.  I don't have a proper wheel stand, but I do have a number of scissor jacks and hydraulic floor jacks.  I'm thinking I can get a jack under the front of the engine (being careful to avoid the exhaust pipes).  I believe the engine is integral to the frame, so this should work ok.  Would you have any concerns about this approach or other ideas for how to easily get that front wheel off?
BMW MOA #210438
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Re: Scissor jack to lift front wheel

Post by Sullivj »

Yes, I would be concerned that I might crack the sump.

Can you weight the rear of the bike, with it on the centre stand, enough to lift the front wheel off the ground?

I got one of the cheap paddock stands, that locates nicely into the holes on the bottom of the front forks. Well worth the £25 investment.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

That's the system I use to remove the front wheel and never had a problem. I think you'd have to be very unfortunate to cause damage to the engine case. You co[size=2px]uld always place a block of wood[/size] between the jack and the bike to spread the load?

If I'm leaving the wheel out for a while (off to the tyre fitter for example) I replace the jack with an engine stand - just in case!

I thought of buying a paddock stand but for the use it would get I stuck with the jack.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I use a Scissor Jack,  similar to this one https://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN5035920K, secured with a bolt to the "Bash Plate" mount at the front of the sump.

steve.sharkey

Post by steve.sharkey »

I put the bike on the centre stand an place 4 old bike gel batteries in the top box. Voila front stays high in the air. Actually lifts around 2 batteries others are there as a guarantee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
panaray

Post by panaray »

I've used the scissor jack technique with success with multiple bikes. The amount of mass the jack holds isn't much--likely ~100 lbs or so(?) for bikes propped up with center stand. I have seen bike shops place the jack under the header pipes with some bikes (not recommended)
My only recommendation is to make sure to loosen the hardware before lifting with the jack.
If there is low-priced bike parts dealer (e.g. Cyclegear) front stands can be often purchased for under $50, however.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

ImageRe: Scissor jack to lift front wheel

Above picture shows the official BMW Front Wheel elevation device. On special order only from your dealer. (As shown on a previous thread on this subject)
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
LAF

Post by LAF »

Place a block of wood on the jack and have at it.  No worries at all  You only need a few inches and it is not holding hardly any weight.  I take both wheels off at the same time as I change tires in sets.  Never an issue. 

Loosen all bolts first but that is the only thing that needs done and is common sense IMHO.  I would never try to crack lug nuts on a car while on a jack, would never think of it on the bike either.
timminator

Post by timminator »

Thanks all, I will give the jack/wood block idea a try.  I have also put weight on the back to raise the front (for wheel cleaning), my only concern there is that the rear wheel is also removed, so that would be a delicate balancing act.  [size=2px]I would gladly pay the money for a proper wheel stand, but I need to get the tire off today and no time to order anything.[/size]
BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

Our Gee wrote: Image
Re: Scissor jack to lift front wheelRe: Scissor jack to lift front wheel

Above picture shows the official BMW Front Wheel elevation device. On special order only from your dealer. (As shown on a previous thread on this subject)
That's genius!  Does the floral carpet come with the kit, or is that extra?  ;)
BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

Worked like a charm.  Had my pillion lean on the luggage rack to lift wheel and slid this jack stand under the engine block.  Barely any weight on it.[attachimg=1]
Attachments
2017-07-07 09.40.43.jpg
BMW MOA #210438
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Hi Timminator, unfortunately the 100 % wool Belgian Flower pattern carpet is an extra which has recently found a new home in my garage after the boss deemed that a Plain Beige nylon (yuk) carpet ? looks better in our lounge.
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.