Nav 5/iPhone 6 headset integration for 2013 R1200RT

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
blastfurnace
Been liked: 1 time

Nav 5/iPhone 6 headset integration for 2013 R1200RT

Post by blastfurnace »

I can't seem to find a definitive answer about this.

I want to plug my iPhone to the bike.
I want to use a Nav 5 unit.

If I have the iPhone music playing with the Nav 5 turn by turn instructions be audible?

Last edited by blastfurnace on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Nav 5/iPhone 6 headset integration

Post by beemerboy9 »

I don't have direct experience of this unit. I understand that if the SatNav mount is connected into the Audio unit via a standard plug, then the turn by turn instructions will mute the music.
John Bentall
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Bit more info is needed.  Is your bike fitted with the audio unit or are you just pairing your phone to the Nav V.  If it's directly to the Nav you will be much better off loading music to a micro sd card in the Nav and using your phone as a phone.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

So, on the assumption that you have the audio unit here's how it works...

iPhone is plugged into the audio unit and you are playing music that way. You need TWO separate connections into your BlueTooth headset. One connects to the Nav V and provides direction prompts and telephone calls. The other connects to the audio system and plays the music. The music is interrupted (but does not pause) whenever there is audio from the Nav V, whether it be direction prompts or phone activity.

If you disable bluetooth entirely and play music from the speakers then the Nav V will sent direction prompts into the audio system and interrupt the music. That's the option that most people with intercoms use, by wiring the intercom into the speaker wires.

Hope this helped.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As Paggers says but your iPhone will not plug into the connection fitted in the locker.  You need to buy the connection cable.  But again it's more effecient and a lot less expensive to just plug in a USB flash card  loaded with MP3 format music.. 
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

Paggers wrote: So, on the assumption that you have the audio unit here's how it works...

iPhone is plugged into the audio unit and you are playing music that way. You need TWO separate connections into your BlueTooth headset. One connects to the Nav V and provides direction prompts and telephone calls. The other connects to the audio system and plays the music. The music is interrupted (but does not pause) whenever there is audio from the Nav V, whether it be direction prompts or phone activity.

If you disable bluetooth entirely and play music from the speakers then the Nav V will sent direction prompts into the audio system and interrupt the music. That's the option that most people with intercoms use, by wiring the intercom into the speaker wires.

Hope this helped.

Sorry if I was unclear.  I just got this bike 2 days ago!  It does have the communications package (radio, sirius, bluetooth)

So, even if the NAV 5 is in a BMW cradle hardwired to the bike, and the phone is plugged into the bike you need a bluetooth connection to the NAV V and the bike?  (My headset only allows a single connection.) 

When you say:
"[size=2px]If you disable bluetooth entirely and play music from the speakers then the Nav V will sent direction prompts into the audio system and interrupt the music. That's the option that most people with intercoms use, by wiring the intercom into the speaker wires."  do you mean using a 3rd party speaker bridge and bluetooth dongle?[/size]
[size=2px]I also have the documented problem of distorted FM ans Sirius sources, although the USB stick sounds great, so I was considering tapping into the spekers with the speaker bridge.  I don't really care about FM or Sirius, but I would love to use the volume wheel if possible.  And I would love to get music from my phone, here turn by turn directions, get phone calls and only have a total of one bluetooth connection.  Easy, right?[/size][size=2px]
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

To be honest with your headset being no use for all the things you want to do I would advise the way I went.
Forget Bluetooth altogether.  Install a wired system like Autocom which allows you to connect the sufiomunit to it.  That way both you and your passenger will get everything and you have total control over volume with the wheel. 
The BT in the audio unit will also only ever connect to one headset unless you buy the BMW kit.  As you have only owned the bike for 2 days though I would enjoy riding it before going half mad getting the audio system up and running.  That's what winter is for.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

If you want to go down the BT route then you need to have a headset that will support two channels. I haven't tried it but my bike supports two BT connections for the audio system, one for the rider and one for a pillion. The pillion cannot get the feed from the Nav V as it only supports a single channel.

If you want to go down the intercom route there are threads on here about it. I had a Starcom Advance system on my GS which I did consider fitting onto the RT. Main reason why I am sticking with BT is that after many years of owning both Autocom and Starcom intercoms (they are owned by the same company) I have got tired of poor build quality on the headsets and appalling after-sales service. (Std disclaimer that this is merely my experience, others may differ.) If I ever find a decent, not too expensive, intercom system made by someone else I may give it a go again.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

blastfurnace wrote: I can't seem to find a definitive answer about this.

I want to plug my iPhone to the bike.
I want to use a Nav 5 unit.

If I have the iPhone music playing with the Nav 5 turn by turn instructions be audible?

Can we check that you have a 2013 non-water-cooled 1200RT.
John Bentall
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

beemerboy9 wrote:
Can we check that you have a 2013 non-water-cooled 1200RT.

Yes, 2013 R1200RT, not water cooled.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You will not get detailed answered to your question without says which RT you have.  If it's 2014 or newer as I said no BT headset will work fully with it except the BMW one and that has some strange and in my eyes unacceptable features.  It does  not mute the music when you talk and the wheel,only controls the riders volume.  If you ride solo those two points don't matter.  It's also only really designed for the BMW Helmet so,you would neede go bridge it into other makes.Notsure what BT  is in pre 2014 bikes but probably something that won't work fully with the latest BT headsets.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

RTman10 wrote: To be honest with your headset being no use for all the things you want to do I would advise the way I went.
Forget Bluetooth altogether.  Install a wired system like Autocom which allows you to connect the sufiomunit to it.  That way both you and your passenger will get everything and you have total control over volume with the wheel. 
The BT in the audio unit will also only ever connect to one headset unless you buy the BMW kit.  As you have only owned the bike for 2 days though I would enjoy riding it before going half mad getting the audio system up and running.  That's what winter is for.

I have looked everywhere for this autocom thing.  I have no idea what it is.  Are we talking something similar to this:

https://www.rocketmoto.com/motochello-audio-speaker-bridge

And what is "sufiomunit"?

I hear you about enjoying the ride.  Part of the reason I bought this bike is due to a long commute and multiple site visits every week, so the GPS pretty important and it would be nice (not essential) to be able to listen to somehting during the 2.5 hours each day I am commuting.[/size]

Last edited by blastfurnace on Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Nav 5/iPhone 6 headset integration for 2013 R1200RT

Post by guest2360 »

Autocom is a wired headset system powered by your bike.  Google it. Sounds like you just ride solo.  In which case.
Pair your headset to your Nav V
Load music onto a micro sd card in the Nav and use its music app .
Pair your phone to your Nav
Job done.  No extra cost.  You will need to control the volume from your headset though along with the master volume controls in the Nav.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blastfurnace

Post by blastfurnace »

No extra cost sounds like a good solution.

Would this allow music and/or phone through the iPhone.  I would prefer to avoid a SD card (or USB stick) for music because I have apple music and you can't transfer music you don't own from the phone.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It allows the phone to connect through the Nav to your headset yes but when it does it over rides everything else while the call is made.  I assume that if you tried to send your music from your phone the same way, if it worked you would get no navigation prompts.  If you look in the Nav V volume settings you will see there are three, directions, phone and music.  The music setting is for the built in media centre which you don't want to use.  The phone one though is just the phone which makes me think calls and music would work the same.