BMWMOA-Georgia-USA Ride To Highlands, NC

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
BlueRT

BMWMOA-Georgia-USA Ride To Highlands, NC

Post by BlueRT »

Feb-2017, a group of approximately 18-Beemer pilots meet at HoursGlass Cycles in Buford, GA, for a ride to Highlands, N.C. We had GSA's, GS's, 1200RT's, K1300's out for the ride. Weather was absolutely fantastic for Feb-2017. Cloudless, sapphire blue sky's about 50F. We did fight some fairly strong wind gust. Highlands, NC is at 4,100-ft+/- altitude in the Smokey Mountains of western N.C., approximately a 2-hr ride NW of Atlanta, GA. We rode through the foothills of the Smokey's in north Georgia and then took "Warwoman Road" from Clayton, GA. up the mountain into Highlands. Warwoman has more than enough curves to satisfy any crouch rocket pilot! Rookie pilots should not ride Warwoman. If any of you are familiar with "The Tail of the Dragon", I would equate Warwoman to be ever bit an equal to give you the ride you get on the Dragon.  Warwoman has less curves but the curves she does have demand your attention. I'd estimate it is approximately 1-1/2 hours ride through the Smokey Mountains to travel from Highlands to Deal's Gap - home of The Dragon. Once we made it up the mountain we stopped at Mountain Fresh Groceries for a great lunch, stayed outside in the clear brisk air and discussed the ride up the mountain. By mid-afternoon you could feel the mountain air cooling below 50F. A local gentleman rode up on a GSA and told us they were expecting mid-40F temps by sundown. As the weather started deteriorating, we fired our engines, grouped up and rode back down another mountain route back to Atlanta.  Great 279-miles round trip day ride with a great group of Beemer riders.     
Attachments
BMW-MOA-GA, Highlands, NC .jpg
Keep The Faith!
MacJ

Re: BMWMOA-Georgia-USA Ride To Highlands, NC

Post by MacJ »

Nice report and I am deeply envious although the weather here was pretty good over the last weekend.
WillPhelps52

Post by WillPhelps52 »

Nice report.

I live in NC and just got my first BMW M/C.  I hope to get to the mountains soon.
blastfurnace
Been liked: 1 time

Post by blastfurnace »

BlueRT wrote: Feb-2017, a group of approximately 18-Beemer pilots meet at HoursGlass Cycles in Buford, GA, for a ride to Highlands, N.C. We had GSA's, GS's, 1200RT's, K1300's out for the ride. Weather was absolutely fantastic for Feb-2017. Cloudless, sapphire blue sky's about 50F. We did fight some fairly strong wind gust. Highlands, NC is at 4,100-ft+/- altitude in the Smokey Mountains of western N.C., approximately a 2-hr ride NW of Atlanta, GA. We rode through the foothills of the Smokey's in north Georgia and then took "Warwoman Road" from Clayton, GA. up the mountain into Highlands. Warwoman has more than enough curves to satisfy any crouch rocket pilot! Rookie pilots should not ride Warwoman. If any of you are familiar with "The Tail of the Dragon", I would equate Warwoman to be ever bit an equal to give you the ride you get on the Dragon.  Warwoman has less curves but the curves she does have demand your attention. I'd estimate it is approximately 1-1/2 hours ride through the Smokey Mountains to travel from Highlands to Deal's Gap - home of The Dragon. Once we made it up the mountain we stopped at Mountain Fresh Groceries for a great lunch, stayed outside in the clear brisk air and discussed the ride up the mountain. By mid-afternoon you could feel the mountain air cooling below 50F. A local gentleman rode up on a GSA and told us they were expecting mid-40F temps by sundown. As the weather started deteriorating, we fired our engines, grouped up and rode back down another mountain route back to Atlanta.  Great 279-miles round trip day ride with a great group of Beemer riders.   

I live in Brevard so you guys were strolling around my backyard.  Man, I live in a beautiful place!