RT LC & Optimate charger

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: RT LC & Optimate charger

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
I guess my point is why use an expensive gadget that has the potential to cause problems to solve a problem that doesn't exist in the first place?

If you have a car (or a bike) that you leave standing for several months, maybe but in my experience modern batteries simply don't need to be connected to conditioners or chargers on a regular basis.

Yes I agree, but I have never had one mess up a battery. Better stop now or someone will report me for arguing or something - lol  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Better stop now or someone will report me for arguing or something - lol 

Thought you were just having a meaningful discussion. 
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

All good points and it's always good to get different experiences from different users.  I ride all year round as well and just give the battery a bit of a boost overnight if it hasn't moved for a a week or so.  No long term charging for me either... so I will probably stick to the accessory socket.

John
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

sofnolime wrote: No long term charging for me either... so I will probably stick to the accessory socket.

Always one willing to learn from others, John am I understanding you correctly...

connecting a charger like an Optimate to a canbus BMW accessory socket (i.e. the power outlet) will charge the battery?

guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

richardbd wrote:
Always one willing to learn from others, John am I understanding you correctly...

connecting a charger like an Optimate to a canbus BMW accessory socket (i.e. the power outlet) will charge the battery?
Yeah, the Optimate 4 tricks the canbus into making the power socket live and then can pass charge current to the battery.
LAF

Post by LAF »

Well I have used a Optimate 5 since they came out.  I have used it over a few bikes and a few different types of battery's.

It NEVER has ruined any battery for me no matter what type I have put it on.

First it will not go into desulfate mode unless the battery is completely disconnected from the motorcycle.

I like it as it throws ever slightly higher voltage at the battery to test the voltage retention.  That is the verify cycle.  Then it goes into charge mode.  And it test's every half hour once charging the battery to a charged state.

IMHO it is a fine charger. 

At to continuous use, I have never done that. 

Never use it in the 7-8 month riding season and maybe once month in our winter months.  Both bikes are kept this way and no issues.

Pretty easy thing to use and check with a pigtail off the battery.  Take your volt meter, check it on the pig tail and if it is 12.4 or so, put it on the charger overnight or and then take the charger of the next day.

A battery at rest, which means not ridden or charged for 24 hrs, at 72 degrees is 12.80 or around there it is considered a good battery.

I see no need for continuous plug in.  If it has a light on, it draws and uses electric. 

We hate making electric company's rich.
Last edited by LAF on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

Post by ITB »

smileymiley wrote: My '14 was charged thru the accessory socket every day for over 2 years with no detriment. The '16 that I have now is being charged the same way.

+1

Many years' Optimate use on my '06 RT, '13 RT and '16 RT accessory sockets. I recommend it.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

I only use my charger wired straight to the battery when it struggles to fire up.  Probably someone will comment on that's not good, it came that way. Usually connect it when I run too may short journeys and have to fire up frequently. Then again the bike is out for the 50 mile commute 3 or 4 days a week.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Used Optimates for years and never an issue.  Last bike's battery (1300GT) lasted 7 years, despite being mostly laid up in the winter.  Weird how experience varies isn't it?