Torque settings with anti seize

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Torque settings with anti seize

Post by timminator »

Just put a new set of PR4s on my 2016 LC.  I removed the wheels and took them to a shop with proper mounting and balancing equipment, saves a lot of money on labor if you can do this yourself.  It was a good experience going through the wheel removal and installation process.

The quick-release axle on the front axle has anti-seize on it from the factory, I cleaned it off and added some fresh anti-seize.  While I was at it, also put anti- seize on the pinch bolts and the caliper bolts.  Was talking this over with my favorite tech at the BMW dealer, and he informed me that they generally install those bolts "dry".  And also that the torque specifications called for in the manual are dry torque settings.  If you lubricate the bolts (either with anti-seize, or oil), you should reduce the specified torque by approx. 25%. 

I did some research and there's a lot of information on the internet about this, and the general consensus does seem to confirm what the tech told me.  I'm going to loosen and re-torque those bolts today. 

This was all news to me, so I thought I would share.  What do you guys think?
BMW MOA #210438
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Torque settings with anti seize

Post by Sullivj »

I learnt the hard way that this is very true..

I stripped the thread on a fork leg pinch bolt by trying to torque it up, covered in copper slip.

Lesson learnt.
mcwhirtj

Post by mcwhirtj »

Good to know, thanks for sharing! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LAF

Post by LAF »

If a bolt is specified to have anti seize on it then the torque value given is the one you use.  I my 50 years of spinning a wrench and 10 years watching and handing tools, never heard of reducing torque on a anti seize instructed fastener.

This is why you use some bolts as replace as when you torque them to the given force they stretch and need replaced when removed.  Rotor bolts are a good example of this even though we use heat to get them out they are still stretched.

Following this logic would you change the torque setting for a bolt that calls for Loctite?
timminator

Post by timminator »

LAF wrote: If a bolt is specified to have anti seize on it then the torque value given is the one you use.  I my 50 years of spinning a wrench and 10 years watching and handing tools, never heard of reducing torque on a anti seize instructed fastener.

This is why you use some bolts as replace as when you torque them to the given force they stretch and need replaced when removed.  Rotor bolts are a good example of this even though we use heat to get them out they are still stretched.

Following this logic would you change the torque setting for a bolt that calls for Loctite?
It was news to me too, which is why I thought I would share.  I can only assume the tech at my BMW dealer knows what he is talking about.  If you google how does anti-seize affect torque settings, there is a ton of data out there.  Here is a link from Fastenal, a well known manufacturer of fasteners in the US.  They have an online torque calculator.  It provides numbers for both wet (lubricated) and dry torque.

https://www.fastenal.com/en/83/torque-calculator

But like anything else on the forum, this is just information.  Use your own judgement to decide whether it's worthwhile or not.
BMW MOA #210438
LAF

Post by LAF »

timminator wrote: It was news to me too, which is why I thought I would share.  I can only assume the tech at my BMW dealer knows what he is talking about.  If you google how does anti-seize affect torque settings, there is a ton of data out there.  Here is a link from Fastenal, a well known manufacturer of fasteners in the US.  They have an online torque calculator.  It provides numbers for both wet (lubricated) and dry torque.

https://www.fastenal.com/en/83/torque-calculator

But like anything else on the forum, this is just information.  Use your own judgement to decide whether it's worthwhile or not.
Sorry did not mean to offend. 

Thank you for the link.

timminator

Post by timminator »

LAF wrote: Sorry did not mean to offend. 

Thank you for the link.
No worries, no offense taken!  Just wanted to back up what I said with some data.  Like you, I have been using anti-seize for years and not giving it a second thought.  My guess is it's probably rare that this causes major problems, but in the scenario where you are putting a steel bolt into aluminum (like pinch bolts) it may be particularly important.

Cheers, Tim
BMW MOA #210438
LAF

Post by LAF »

timminator wrote: No worries, no offense taken!  Just wanted to back up what I said with some data.  Like you, I have been using anti-seize for years and not giving it a second thought.  My guess is it's probably rare that this causes major problems, but in the scenario where you are putting a steel bolt into aluminum (like pinch bolts) it may be particularly important.

Cheers, Tim
I still use it on all spark plugs even though it has fallen out of vogue to do so.  Old habits and all that.
timminator

Post by timminator »

LAF wrote: I still use it on all spark plugs even though it has fallen out of vogue to do so.  Old habits and all that.
Spark plugs are the perfect candidate for anti-seize, wouldn't install one without it.

BMW MOA #210438