Acceleration

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Paggers

Re: Acceleration

Post by Paggers »

I can definitely say that my (admittedly limited) experience with the LC doesn't seem to reflect that torque curve. It pulls like the proverbial train up to about 6.5k but it always seems to feel like it is screaming for little effect beyond that. It would be interesting to see the equivalent map for my bike so I know whether that is really the case or if it is just my imagination.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Ive got a 2017rt. Rode back from Cairnryan  to Manchester last night  Spent quite a bit of time in the 6K plus range  :whistle:    But also cruising down the motorway    around 4k there is a flat spot up to around 4.5k  setting the cruise control at 4 k you can feel the bike is surging then slowing a little  move on up to 4.5 and it smooths out.  Though I only got 49 mpg over a 230 miles trip.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Neither of those two sound like good news.  People suspected the 17 would run lean to comply with Euro whatever but most say they go just as well as earlier ones.  49 mpg also seems low .  I'm getting that out of a half ton 1330 trike.  My 14 had no flat spots and regularly managed over 55 mpg.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

I wanted to get as near home as possible before it was dark.  So quite a bit of the time  I was moving on some.  That said  worst ins recent months from a tank has been  40.65  and best 54.41  so  49 is not too bad.

mcwhirtj

Acceleration

Post by mcwhirtj »

Cruising at 70 to 80 mph on the USA interstates (6th gear) I get 50 a 52 mpg (converting to imperial measure) with my '08.  On my daily commute, I get less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by mcwhirtj on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LAF

Post by LAF »

mcwhirtj wrote: This is all I am saying - see the chart.  I have an '08, and the max torque band is from just below 6,000 RPM to just above 7500 RPM, which is right up on the edge or red line *8K on my '08).  So the max torque band occupies roughly the last 2000 RPM before redline - that was what I meant.  That is the band in which my bike "comes alive".  Not saying one should cruise in that band, but if you want to see what it is really capable of in terms of get-up-and-go, and put a really big grin on your face :-) this is the place to be.  If I'm riding hard uphill on a twisty canyon road, or making a move in heavy freeway traffic, I'll drop it down a gear or two to get into this sweet spot and MOVE.  When you get into that zone, the engine is so responsive, and your eyes (had better) on the road not the tach, so one may occasionally rev up to red line - but that is what the rev limiter is for.  The bike is engineered to operate there.  FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.     

I rode a newer LC model, and they flattened out the torque curve with that engine - was quite noticeable, in a good way.  More acceleration at lower RPM.    ~93K Miles on my '08,  but it shows no signs of stopping, so hard to justify a new bike!

Jim
(Dyno chart is from this review in rider magazine:  https://ridermagazine.com/2008/07/09/2008-bmw-r1200rt-moto-guzzi-norge-1200-motorcycle-comparison/

[attachimg=1]
Here is one chart.  It is done at 7600 RPM or so.  You are just spinning parts and making noise after that.

This is a 15 RT with Power Commander V.  Cruise I am 14.1 or so AFR and in the high power areas I am around 13.5 AFR.

On topic:  It appears all this was over a bad tank of gas and it does happen.  Way to much here in the USA.  I use StarTron to treat for corn gas and hope for the best.  Worst is we use a Premium Gas and I am sure that has the lowest turn over at the stations.  So we do kind of hit the luck of the draw.  SeaFoam, StarTron, StaBil Blue Marine, TechTron, or what ever flavor of gas treatment you like is highly recommended at least from my dealer.  Of course he wants to sell you BMW Fuel Treatment that looks identical to a bottle of TechTron for a lot more than  what a bottle of TechTron cost.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Unfortunately there are cases of poor quality fuel around. Having talked to a guy who ran a petrol station hes suggested never refuel if there  is a tanker delivery when you get there or if one has just been. Apparently (understandably) condensation occurs in the holding tank and that gets churned up when the tanker fills it. The other problem are very old stations that haven't had the tanks flushed or cleaned. If I use a lot of supermarket fuel I tend to throw put about 10 litres of high performance fuel to clean everything up again. Does the trick on the bike and the car.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Here we go again.  Those who know better and look down with criticism on those who don't.
What's wrong with faster spinning parts and more noise?  I'm not ready for retirement yet and until that time comes, I'd like to live in a world without whining farts telling me I need to do it this way or that way.
This thread began with someone asking for anyone had encountered a flat spot at 4k, but once again it's been twisted around by those who know better into personal opinion that should be followed by the masses.

I now understand why people are leaving this forum.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Sorry you felt that way. I agree the thread did get hijacked a bit around the torque profile for the different bikes but I didn't personally feel that anyone was preaching (at least not too much).
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm always being told if you can't say anything constructive don't say anything.  On the other hand if you believe what's been said is not correct why not say so.  That's what forums are all about.  I suspect I will soon walk the plank here though as the 3 wheeled community are a lot less bickery.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I hadn't made a comment on this thread, but have read with interest. But it does amuse me that the people that are whinging are doing exactly what they are whinging about. How ironic  :whistle:  No wonder people are leaving the forum !
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

So bad fuel was the culprit, I'm offended you could put such a sub standard product in a fine motorcycle  ;) 
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Sometimes you don't have a choice. I remember taking my car into a newly opened petrol station. I then ended up having to pay for the entire fuel system to be flushed out due to the dust and other crap. Of course the petrol station refused all liability. Sometimes you just don't know what you are going to get.
LAF

Post by LAF »

Cleverbee wrote: Here we go again.  Those who know better and look down with criticism on those who don't.
What's wrong with faster spinning parts and more noise?  I'm not ready for retirement yet and until that time comes, I'd like to live in a world without whining farts telling me I need to do it this way or that way.
This thread began with someone asking for anyone had encountered a flat spot at 4k, but once again it's been twisted around by those who know better into personal opinion that should be followed by the masses.

I now understand why people are leaving this forum.
Hey do what ever you want your bike your money.

Fact is fact.  The motor is done producing ANY kind of power at 76-7800 RPM. Not personal opinion but fact.  You understand that word right.  The data is there for you to see.

Make all the noise you want and spin that thing right up to 9000 K nobody said you cant or should not.  Just trying to educate you a bit but somehow you got upset about it.  You ever see a dyno of your bike?  Did you know the motor is done at those RPMs?  You think it is good for the motor to spin it up past the point where it produces any power at all?

Or is it just a hatred for anyone who can produce facts and data instead of just spewing garbage and what they think is correct? 

Sorry, but not necessary to use this kind of language. "Line deleted by admin"
Last edited by LAF on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

simbo wrote: So bad fuel was the culprit, I'm offended you could put such a sub standard product in a fine motorcycle ;)
No choice - it was that or push it!