MyRoute-app web

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Levisp

MyRoute-app web

Post by Levisp »

For those of you who hate Basecamp for planning routes and I'm one of them, have a look at https://www.myrouteapp.com/en

Its a web based route planning site. The really neat thing is you can use maps from Google, TomTom and Garmin. You save the routes on their site and can then be exported directly to your device via USB. You can try the Gold membership for free for 30 days or stick with the basic membership.

If you want to use a phone for navigation then you have to pay for Gold membership. I have tried this with my ancient iPhone 4s and it works rather well. Basically any route you have planned on the web is instantly available in the MyRoute app on your phone. The route from this free app can then be imported into either Sygic or Navigon app for turn by turn navigation. I have tried it with Sygic and it works well.

If you try this with BMW Nav V then export using the BMW motorcycle 1.1 gpx via USB. I have found that when this is imported into my Nav V, I get straight lines between waypoints ! Solution is very simple. When asked to import by device decline. Then open the tracks app. You will see the file there, select it and it shows track on the map. Top left spanner menu item open, select convert to route, give it a name and bingo it will convert and pop it into you route planner.

As always check the route to see it hasn't been changed by your device. This can usually be fixed by using extra waypoints when planning. If there are two ways of going between two waypoints then device software may calculate route differently to what you have planned. Just add another waypoint to force the software to go the way you want. Hope this makes sense.

This IMHO beats using Google MyMaps which was my alternative to Basecamp. The MyRoute-app web is much easier and very quick.

Paggers

Re: MyRoute-app web

Post by Paggers »

Sounds like an interesting website. Personally I think I'll stick with Basecamp. Not sure if it's just because I have been using it for so long, but I get on fine with it. I do seem to be in the minority though so I'm sure lots of people will be interested in the online option.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
julianq

Post by julianq »

Tyre is another free one with Garmin or Tomtom, same gold version costs and uses google maps.
JQ 2007 R1200RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Paggers wrote: Sounds like an interesting website. Personally I think I'll stick with Basecamp. Not sure if it's just because I have been using it for so long, but I get on fine with it. I do seem to be in the minority though so I'm sure lots of people will be interested in the online option.

You are not a loan as they say.  BaseCamp needs a bit of time to learn then it's OK.And never costs anything.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

julianq wrote: Tyre is another free one with Garmin or Tomtom, same gold version costs and uses google maps.

Unfortunately Tyre is PC only software. No good if you are a Mac user.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote:
You are not a loan as they say.  BaseCamp needs a bit of time to learn then it's OK.And never costs anything.

Agree its free. Ive been using Basecamp for a few years now and know my way around it but still don't like it much.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I am told by friends BaseCamp is much better on the Mac than I have found on the PC.  I use Tyre (Prefer a PC based local system) and MyRoute-App (same developers) the Gold MyRoute-App option to compare Google/TomTom/Garmin route calculation is *fantastic* if you are riding in a group with different Navi systems you can minimise the chances of people wanting to go different ways mid journey! Peter
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I despise Basecamp, even on the Mac.  I have been using a different website called MotoGoLoco for the past year, it is probably similar to MyRoute.  Creating routes is far simpler, and then you export a .gpx file that can be uploaded to your Garmin device.  Also supports Tomtom and a variety of other nav devices.  And it's free.
BMW MOA #210438
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I think the killer part of MyRoute for me is the way it can be used with either Sygric or Navigon iPhone apps. All the iPhone navigation turn by turn apps that I have look out fail by the inability to import a route. Trying to plan a route on a small screen is virtually impossible. Android users have an easier time as I believe you have been able to import a route into Sygic Android app for some time.

For my Nav V, I have been using Google MyMaps, save route as kmz file and then import that into basecamp. Once in Basecamp the kmz track can be turned into a route and then exported to your device.

MyRoute exports route from the web-app directly. Just a little easier and quicker. This part can be done using the free membership.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm okay with Basecamp at the moment.  My long-suffering wife will testify to the level of effin and jeffin at Garmin backalong, but maybe I just wasn't using it enough.  It is far from intuitive, until you learn to think like Garmin.  That uncovered a whole load of other problems :)
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

When I first got my Nav IV - I had to use MapSource which was not the easiest of products to use.  (Lots of Blood, sweat, tears & Swearing!) Until I got used to it.  Learnt lots of tips etc form this forum - some of the things I could have used prior to my first major journey!  However it is a learning experience.

Then came BaseCamp - return to the Blood, Sweat, Tears & Swearing.  Again once you get the hang of it, you can create Routes easily quickly.

Alternative routing sites are always useful, but I have found that Basecamp matches the routing that the device would choose.  This is always a distinct plus when reviewing the route!

Yes it is a pain to learn, and not always the easiest in handling, however I like it!  I would not switch it for another method. (I could not get on with TYRE, when I tried it!)

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth