Insurance

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
ds99

Re: Insurance

Post by ds99 »

i looked into having two policies, one for each bike, but it was cheaper to have a multi-bike policy with Bennets (insurer is "highway")

things like this can get the premium down, you need to tell your insurer all these things

- declaring the miles you intend to travel in a year (more miles = more £££)
- keeping bike on driveway/garage, not on road
- using a "name brand" lock/chain - eg Oxford Monster
- declaring the bike to have an immobiliser/alarm (all RTs do?)
- not carrying a pillion
- not using for "commuting to work"

- not opting for the 'extras' - eg breakdown cover, NCB protection (check the small print!),legal cover. there is a massive profit margin for insurance brokers on these items

and don't forget to say you have "had cheaper quotes elsewhere" and you are "thinking of changing companies", that usually results in a magically lower quote!
Last edited by ds99 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

David. wrote: One reason I maintain my IAM membership is for potential discounted insurance through IAM Surety (formerly Adelaide). Over recent years, they have just not been competitive for me, hence switching to Carole Nash. Did speak to IAM Surety before renewing, they don't offer a six wheel policy & wanted over £600 for two separate policies for the car & bikes.

On informing Bennetts that I was a IAM green card holder they increased my premium by £5 : (
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

Just got renewal from Hastings and £110- well pleased . On the other hand renewal for my car has gone up 39% on last year for same cover by Lloyds. Shopping around, Aviva beat everybody else hands down. There is no Customer loyalty anymore and Insurance companies are their own worst enemy!
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
Simon

Post by Simon »

Paggers wrote: It's getting ludicrous. Trying to get quotes for my son, who is sitting his CBT tomorrow, on a YBR125. Even for just third party it's almost £700. For fully comp they want around £4k - even for a bike worth £1,500.

It's not just the cost of the bike that you are insuring, but the cost of the damage you can do with the bike.  If an 18 year old is rendered quadriplegic following an accident, the cost of the claim would probably be £10,000,000 or more for a lifetime's care.  That's what the premium is paying for, not just the bike costing £1,500.
2010 R1200RT SE - The Silver Machine
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

Thought my Hastings Direct renewal was good at £110 but tried the comparison sites anyway. It came back  Hastings were again cheaper but only £100. Rang Hastings to query price match and they said theirs is now coming in at £98.  Result one happy RT owner.
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Simon wrote: It's not just the cost of the bike that you are insuring, but the cost of the damage you can do with the bike.  If an 18 year old is rendered quadriplegic following an accident, the cost of the claim would probably be £10,000,000 or more for a lifetime's care.  That's what the premium is paying for, not just the bike costing £1,500.
Yeah, I get that. It's still more expensive than insuring him on a car - although perhaps that's because he is less likely to be injured in a car.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X