Trade RS for RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Jocke-Sweden

Trade RS for RT

Post by Jocke-Sweden »

Hi,

I am thinking of switching my RS to an RT because of my back pain when I was driving for a while. Have borrowed a RT 2017 over the weekend. I was really pleasantly surprised at how fun and comfortable it is to drive. My only negative experience is that I get tired of the upper back. Not pain, more sore. I'm 1.70 cm (5.7 "). Could it be due to winds that go around and hit my neck / back?

Any suggestions for a solution?

//Joakim
Paggers

Re: Trade RS for RT

Post by Paggers »

Read this thread - it describes the upper back problems I had when I started riding my RT. This was after coming from a GS and having ridden bikes for many years without issue. I basically had to learn to sit slightly differently on the bike, after which the problem went away. So with luck your problem is the same and can be solved by working on your riding position.

https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=5
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
ds99

Post by ds99 »

it does take a while for your body to get used to a new bike and a slightly different riding position, different muscles need to be trained in a slightly different way.

generally most people find the RT very comfortable.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Hi, not sure if this helps. I'm 5'3" and have a low seat so sitting quite low on the bike. I found especially in winter when it's a colder wind I get a cold neck and shoulders depending on where I have the windscreen set at and the speed. I adjust the windscreen until the draft cuts out. I did resort to a neck warmer to stop the draft going down my back. Not a problem during the summer.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
F800GT

Post by F800GT »

have you tried the handlebar riser from Wunderlich ?
richardofyorks

Post by richardofyorks »

I bought a RS Iconic last year and have just ordered a a RT LE with sport style package. Much more luxurious but no trade off; it does everything the RS does at least as well but has a few decent extras (electric screen, heated seat, panniers and far better instruments)