Luddites

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
gogs01

Luddites

Post by gogs01 »

Wikipedia tells me that the term "Luddite" has come to mean one opposed to industrialisation, automation, computerisation or new technologies in general.
This came to my mind when reading posts on Gearshift Assist Pro. One comment was that it was unnecessary and just one more thing to go wrong. Hard to disagree with either point, but I have it on my bike and I like it. I also like the cruise control, ESA, automatic headlights, ABS, traction control, central locking - and I've even been known to use the Hill Start Assist (although I'm not keen on it in most circumstances). They are all things which can go wrong, but I didn't buy this or previous bikes to worry about things going wrong, I started with the assumption that most things today are reasonably well designed and built and should therefore work reliably. If you want an unreliable bike, buy a single cylinder, side valve bike with a 6v dynamo. That won't allow you to set off on a 4000 mile round trip with only a BMW toolkit (ie no toolkit !) and expect to complete the journey without getting your hands dirty.
I've been accused of being a grumpy old man and even a Luddite, but I love my RT and I love the gadgets, so although bikes aren't becoming more reliable as quickly as they might, I don't think that failing to spec up a BMW to the max strikes much of a blow for reliability. Although it would save money ..... but that's a whole different argument ! ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Luddites

Post by B787MECH »

gogs01 wrote: Wikipedia tells me that the term "Luddite" has come to mean one opposed to industrialisation, automation, computerisation or new technologies in general.
This came to my mind when reading posts on Gearshift Assist Pro. One comment was that it was unnecessary and just one more thing to go wrong. Hard to disagree with either point, but I have it on my bike and I like it. I also like the cruise control, ESA, automatic headlights, ABS, traction control, central locking - and I've even been known to use the Hill Start Assist (although I'm not keen on it in most circumstances). They are all things which can go wrong, but I didn't buy this or previous bikes to worry about things going wrong, I started with the assumption that most things today are reasonably well designed and built and should therefore work reliably. If you want an unreliable bike, buy a single cylinder, side valve bike with a 6v dynamo. That won't allow you to set off on a 4000 mile round trip with only a BMW toolkit (ie no toolkit !) and expect to complete the journey without getting your hands dirty.
I've been accused of being a grumpy old man and even a Luddite, but I love my RT and I love the gadgets, so although bikes aren't becoming more reliable as quickly as they might, I don't think that failing to spec up a BMW to the max strikes much of a blow for reliability. Although it would save money ..... but that's a whole different argument ! ;D
I refer the Hon. Gentleman to my latest post under Gearshift Pro.
I too expect my RT to be reliable, but I'm curious as to how long for! And yes I did save quite a lot by not requiring some "essential" extras!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I saved a lot as well, I bought a 2014 fully spaced bike 18 months ago, with painted top box, aux lights all brand new interior bags for the panniers and top box. Bike was an LE with audio and 2000 miles on it, still under warranty. Cost a whopping 12k, think how much your new bikes will be worth if not on PCP when you sell/trade them. I'd love a new bike, but did that with my 28k Harley and now will probably steer away from new for a while  8)
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

"Luddite", in context, was the opposition to technology etc that destroyed manual jobs at that point in history.
Hardly apt in this circumstance?
:))
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I love all the gadgets on my RT. I especially like the handbrake (also known as Hill Start Assist). I don't ever use it for hill starts of course, just to hold the bike when I am at the lights on anything other than a completely flat surface.
:be happy:
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Dogbreath wrote: "Luddite", in context, was the opposition to technology etc that destroyed manual jobs at that point in history.
Hardly apt in this circumstance?
Don't shoot the messenger !
Wikipedia says all of that, but then says " the term has come to mean one opposed to industrialisation, automation, computerisation or new technologies in general"
If that's how the term is used, I think it's apt in this circumstance.
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

My boss called me a Luddite once. I retorted" I've never been to Ludddington  and you were born in Goole". The North Lincs personnel laughed at my local wit.  :)
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Blimey, this does sound like what my kids say about me.  My '16 RT is sprinkled with all manner of goodies and I use and like all of them, even if some took a while to appreciate.  Must admit I'm not convinced about keyless, but don't feel strongly either way.  However, I will never ever see the point of a wireless on a motorbike.  Falls into the same usefulness band as an ashtray.  Just my view, others will disagree and that's fine.  :)
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

scunny1 wrote: My boss called me a Luddite once. I retorted" I've never been to Ludddington  and you were born in Goole". The North Lincs personnel laughed at my local wit.  :)
[/quote

Ancient gothic rumors state that if you don't leave Goole by the time it gets dark, you'll end up with webbed toes and fingers !  :eek: :eek: :eek: [size=78%]][/size]
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Dogbreath

Post by Dogbreath »

gogs01 wrote: Don't shoot the messenger !
Wikipedia says all of that, but then says " the term has come to mean one opposed to industrialisation, automation, computerisation or new technologies in general"
If that's how the term is used, I think it's apt in this circumstance.

Accepted  :enjoying:
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Sprintgull wrote: Blimey, this does sound like what my kids say about me. My '16 RT is sprinkled with all manner of goodies and I use and like all of them, even if some took a while to appreciate. Must admit I'm not convinced about keyless, but don't feel strongly either way. However, I will never ever see the point of a wireless on a motorbike. Falls into the same usefulness band as an ashtray. Just my view, others will disagree and that's fine. :)
Aah - a kindred spirit. ;D
My brother has the audio system which he uses to play music to his (BMW) helmet. I can't help thinking he could have found a simpler solution which would have saved him £1000+.
I didn't specify the audio system (a) because I don't want radio or music when I'm on the bike and (b) I'm certainly not going to pay £1000 for it.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: .
Aah - a kindred spirit. ;D
My brother has the audio system which he uses to play music to his (BMW) helmet. I can't help thinking he could have found a simpler solution which would have saved him £1000+.
I didn't specify the audio system (a) because I don't want radio or music when I'm on the bike and (b) I'm certainly not going to pay £1000 for it.

I've used the radio just a few times, it was good when heading across Germany and France on the run to the ferry. But I don't think I would have paid for it, but as it was on the bike paid for by someone else, I'll live with it  8)  By the way a wireless has valves, radios have move on since then.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I think I win the Luddite Cup:  I've never owned a cell phone, pager or any other species of electronic leash.  Especially on a tour, there's an enhanced sense of solitude not being on the grid, of escape.  You're also more in the hands of fate without that safety line of 911 - although I must confess that my recent purchase of the reliable 2005 R1200RT makes me feel those hands will likely be very gentle.  My bike has dual attachments for phones, etc., as useful to me (as another poster said) as an ashtray on a bike. 

On that subject, the bike came with a cig lighter style port.  Is it useable as an actual lighter, or can you buy lighter conversion set up aftermarket?  It's really a safety issue: it's really a bitch to try to light up at speed, and even pulling onto the shoulder periodically can be dangerous. Cigs can kill you, in so many ways. 
tda2806

Post by tda2806 »

Surely what we are discussing here would be more correctly referred to as technophobia, rather than luddism or even neo-luddism. There is no rule that an increase in functionality leads to a corresponding increase in unreliability, in fact I can think of many examples where the reverse is true and it may be that adding clutchless gear change will improve the overall reliability! It seems strange to me that we have purchased a premium product by choice and yet are willing to argue that anything added as an OEM option will decrease it's quality.
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. Groucho Marx
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

I'm all for adding stuff that makes life easier, bought mine as used so miss the cruise control, radio, heated seat etc.... Does the uppy/down windshield, electric starts, heated grips, fuel readouts and other information on the dash fall into unnecessary technology leading to unreliability?
I quite like my car as it has dipping rear view mirror, automatic windscreen wipers and lights, cruise control (not adaptive), electric windows, built in sat-nav, radio/cd, two sd card slots, central locking .......
thanks and regards, Ganesh