Mirror problem

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
axamax
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2012
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Mirror problem

Post by axamax »

R1200RT 2012

Just got back from a trip to France, Italy, Austria and Germany. While I was away the glass fell out of my left-hand mirror, and was ran over before I even stopped. There didn't seem to be much holding it to the backing piece. Found a BMW dealer nearby who had a secondhand one available. A couple of days later it too seemed to be about to lose it's glass. I put some tape around it temporarily and glued it when I got back.
Has anyone else had problems? I wondered if it was the heat (37 degrees).
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Mirror problem

Post by Our Gee »

Had the same problem with our Twin Cam but luckily I noticed that the mirror was becoming loose before it fell off. At the time the bike was still under warranty but I resorted to fix it myself with strong double sided sticky tape. That was about three years ago and it,s not moved since. Incidently, it might have been better posting this in the Problems section.
Last edited by Our Gee on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I have just come back from southern Spain where the temperature was up and above 44 on a couple of days and did not have any problems, so I doubt it was that.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
RogerM

Post by RogerM »

My left hand mirror did the same in spain back in june, temps in the high 30s. Saw it flapping and pulled it off before it fell off. I put it in the compartment on the tank and its still there, seems to have stuck itself to the side.

Regards, Roger.