rear shock rebuild

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

rear shock rebuild

Post by slowvet »

So I take my bike in for a mileage checkup and was told I need a rear shock rebuild to the tune of 500 bucks. WTH the bike only has 17,000 lightly ridden miles. I've owned it since it had 11,700 miles and purchased the bike in November of '14. I am the second owner. The first owner is an older guy who babied the bike. Never offroad etc. It's a 2011 rt. Any of you had this rebuild shock problem?
guest2360

Re: rear shock rebuild

Post by guest2360 »

If it's an ESA shock I wasn't aware they could be rebuilt.  What's wrong with it?
Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

In the UK MCT Susp and Firefox Racing will service/rebuild ESA units. The parts come over from the good ol USA so a quick search in your area should help.
Jacksnipe
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Must be US produced aftermarket parts as there are no replacement parts available from BMW
Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

RTMan, You are right, it is a clever and efficient repair on units not originally designed for same. I know two bikers have had same done both very good one on a GS other on a K12.
Jacksnipe
slowvet
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

RTman10 wrote: If it's an ESA shock I wasn't aware they could be rebuilt.  What's wrong with it?

Thanks for responding RT & boys! Worn seal leaks.
LAF

Post by LAF »

Call Ted Porter's BeemerShop and he will fit you up a shock no issue. 

Personally I would not rebuild a factory shock and I am not really sure it can be done correctly and is a good cost benefit rather than buy new. 

When I had money I would buy my bike, buy new shocks, keep the OEM for when I needed to have the new shocks rebuilt, swap them out and keep riding.

Shocks are subjective and most would say 25-30 K for doing something with them.  The loose their effectiveness very slow over time and it really does not get noticed as you just adjust your driving habits with little thought of why.  Unless you ride a bike with new or aftermarket shocks, you don't notice it a lot as they deteriorate gradually, unless it is blown and bottoming out over every tar snake.

I have used Hyper Pro on my LT and that made the pig with lipstick dance.  Night and day and I did ride stock for 1 or 2K or so so had a good idea.  FJR 1300 I had AK-20's in the forks and a Penske rear from Traxxion Dynamics.  Never rode the OEM suspension so have no clue how it worked.

All I can say is if you have quality suspension put on your bike after running stock you will wonder what the hell happened?  It really makes the bike ride and handle so much better.

I am looking forward to my shocks getting tired.  Fixed income will not allow me to pull OEM and just buy new any longer, but I will sneak them on when my OEM get along to 25-30K of wear.
slowvet
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Thanks Laf! Who is Ted Porter? Where are they located?
LAF

Post by LAF »

http://beemershop.com/

Good Guy and really on the cutting edge of suspension set ups.  Always training and going to the suppliers for continued training.

They will work with you for your needs.
slowvet
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

Update, finally got the bike to a dealer for the rear shock rebuild. Attempt number 1 failed. Which was simply putting new seals in. Apparently, the shock shaft has to be re-chromed. I waited to long between when the tech said to get it in here and damaged the shock shaft allowing oil to leak out.  Shit. Totally my fault. While the bike is in there  I'm looking at about an 800$ repair bill. Also getting the 16,000 mile valve adjustment done as well. Hopefully I'll be back on the road in a couple of weeks.