Weaving/white lining

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Weaving/white lining

Post by Steve F »

Pete1200. Yes, thanks point taken. Re tyre pressures, I have always stuck faithfully to 36 F & 42 psi R on the PR4s, and not reduced/increased the pressures. My riding is solo, and I'm not one to hang about!😉 I've also made a point of buying my tyres direct from and fitted by my local dealer, not the cheapest option, but trusted not to damage the TPC sensors in the wheels, unlike some third party tyre fitters have been known to do, and also easier to deal with should any subsequent tyre issues arise. Not sure whether tyre sourcing really makes a difference regarding their reliability/integrity and ultimately longevity, but I guess any discounted tyres may well have been sat around a depot a while, and exposed to UV light more so than a tyre bought  from a reputable and trusted source...??
Anyway, do you experience this sensation in both wet and dry conditions?
Pete1200

Post by Pete1200 »

Steve F wrote: Pete1200. Yes, thanks point taken. Re tyre pressures, I have always stuck faithfully to 36 F & 42 psi R on the PR4s, and not reduced/increased the pressures. My riding is solo, and I'm not one to hang about![emoji6] I've also made a point of buying my tyres direct from and fitted by my local dealer, not the cheapest option, but trusted not to damage the TPC sensors in the wheels, unlike some third party tyre fitters have been known to do, and also easier to deal with should any subsequent tyre issues arise. Not sure whether tyre sourcing really makes a difference regarding their reliability/integrity and ultimately longevity, but I guess any discounted tyres may well have been sat around a depot a while, and exposed to UV light more so than a tyre bought  from a reputable and trusted source...??
Anyway, do you experience this sensation in both wet and dry conditions?
Steve F yes in both wet and dry conditions.  It seems that it may be down to the chassis not being under tension, ie neither accelerating nor decelerating. I cannot see a way round this short of being on/off the throttle in order to avoid the no tension scenario and that is not realistic.
May the road ever be your friend, from leaving home till journey's end.
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

Interesting. I just came off a HD Ultra Limited to a 2017 RT. I noticed a "weave" from the start(if we are referring to the same thing). I even mentioned it to my wife a few days ago. It feels difficult to ride the bike in a stright line without a slow, rhythmic weave. Seems to happen at all speeds. Riding home from the dealership after my purchase, I recall exiting the highway and while cornering a large bend, the bike weved/felt squirrely. No death grip here. Honestly, I just attributed it to the RT being 300 pounds(136 kg) less that my HD. I also attributed my getting pushed around a bit more by 18 wheelers on the intersates to the loss of 300 pounds...this would stand to reason. You've got me thinking here. I'm due to leave on a 3500-4000 mile trip in 13 days. I guess a trip to the dealership is in order here. By the way, I do check my tire pressure and run the recommended 36F and 42R.
RTtourer

Post by RTtourer »

Just did a quick 40 mile ride this am  and to be honest, I didn't notice it so much. Almost all interstate, varied speed level, exited a couple of times for slow, gradual corners. I know I'm not imagining what I previously stated in my above post and I'll try and be a little more cognizant in subsequent rides.