General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Toaster
Bike Model and Year: 2019 BMW R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Exhaust Flap Seizing

Post by Toaster »

Hi Guys,

I just took my 2014 R1200RT to the dealers for an MOT, and since I mainly so my own servicing, I asked them to check the software was up to date and if there were any fault codes present.

The said there was one fault code for a seizing Exhaust Flap!

I'm not sure where this flap is but presumably its part of the exhaust manifold??

I've not noticed any problems with the bike either starting, or running

Has anyone else had this issue......BMW say the repair is fairly expensive!

Cheers

David
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust Flap Seizing

Post by B787MECH »

The exhaust flap is an integral part of the front downpipes/collector box and is prone to sticking. It can be clearly seen if you take off your rear silencer and look into the pipe. Unfortunately BMW will try and sell you a whole assembly as the valve can't be replaced separately, and they're not cheap!
If you're handy with the spanners I would consider trying to free off the valve with penetrating fluid and exercising the pivot until it turns smoothly. It's a common problem on bikes these days and as the valve is only there to help reduce noise at certain revs its not really necessary. Ultimately it would be possible to move the valve into the fully open position and remove the cables. The actuator will hopefully continue to function on its own, and won't throw up a fault code. Haven't yet had any problems with it on mine but that's what I'll do if it plays up. Certainly a lot cheaper than replacing the whole assembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Toaster
Great Britain

Post by Toaster »

Thanks very much B787Mech...that's a great starting point...I'll whip it off and have a look....

Cheers

David
Toaster
Great Britain

Post by Toaster »

Hi B787 Mech,

I found the valve!

When the ignition is off it is in the fully open position, and moves to the half open position for about 1 second then back to fully open position when the ignition is selected ON.

Should the valve cycle to the 'fully closed' position upon ignition on? If so, that will account for the fault code appearing.

Gave it a squirt with WD40 but seems to move OK to the half open position each time the ignition is cycled.

Cheers

David
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

There is an earlier thread on this subject. I had the same problem on my 2014 model and BMW supplied the part under 'good will ' I paid for the labour.
It does not affect the running of the bike but I suspect it could reduce the value in a part exchange.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Toaster
Great Britain

Post by Toaster »

Thanks MacJ.....

After lubing and exercising, the valve now cycles fully open and closed when ignition is operated so I'll call it good.....

Thanks for the help guys....

Cheers

David