Curious & random strating problem

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
guest2368

Curious & random strating problem

Post by guest2368 »

Hi folks, I'm looking to pick the community brain...

I have had my 2017 Rt for about 10 weeks now and it has a random starting electronic issue.

I turn the ignition on and the clocks & display cycle through their the normal self check.  I usually have it set up to show 'Trip A' in the odometer, the speedo set as the menu area background and either range or temperature in the multi function display.
I press the start button and the engine goes to start, hesitates and then turns over and fires up as normal.  However after the hesitation and engine start the clocks and display cycle through the self check again.  Once the self check is complete the odometer has changed to 'Trip 1' the menu background is now the RT logo and the multifunction display shows average MPG.
Even though the trip meter has changed in the display the values are correct and have not reset.  However the Range, Average Speed & Average consumption have all gone to pot.  It is like the display has reset to the default layout and values...

It is totally random and bike has always started, but it is a bit disconcerting when you are hundreds of miles from home!

It has the dealer stumped and they are waiting for word from the BMW mother ship, so I thought I would ask here is anyone has seen anything like this before?

Here is a wee video of the issue that I managed to catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZDWSVc ... e=youtu.be

John

Si_Burnout

Re: Curious & random strating problem

Post by Si_Burnout »

I had this a few times when I first had the bike. If you let I cycle through its self test you should wait until the check engine light is off and then start the bike. Since I do this I never had my bike resetting itself. Hopefully this helps you as well. I think the checks are a massive drain on the battery.
Live to ride and ride to live.
circlehappenork

Post by circlehappenork »

I had similar problem and was dealt on warranty. Please see the post https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=11.msg30915#msg30915
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Si_Burnout wrote: I had this a few times when I first had the bike. If you let I cycle through its self test you should wait until the check engine light is off and then start the bike. Since I do this I never had my bike resetting itself. Hopefully this helps you as well. I think the checks are a massive drain on the battery.
I have tried all sorts of timings and it is still doing it!
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

circlehappenork wrote: I had similar problem and was dealt on warranty. Please see the post /viewtopic.php?t=11.msg30915#msg30915
I contacted the dealer 3 weeks ago about it, visited them 2 weeks ago and emailed them on Monday.  Still no answer as to what is going to be done about it...
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

The dealer got back to me last night, BMW UK technical think it is a software related issue.  The bike goes in next Saturday for a software check and potential re-load of the software.

John
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

You get this issue if the battery falls below having enough power to start the bike and it resets everything to default. Including wallpaper as I have mine set to speedo, and the auto arming of alarm
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

I had a similar issue, the dash background reverting to the RT logo, not sure about the trip meter thing.
It would happen after a failed starting attempt, motor turned over, perhaps backfired, or just spluttered and stopped again.
A new battery at the next service fixed it.
Peter