K&N Air filter

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

K&N Air filter

Post by timminator »

Anyone tried using the K&N air filter on their RT?  I have used them for years in my car with great success.  Revzilla has them on sale this month.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kn-air-filter-bm-1113
BMW MOA #210438
LAF

Re: K&N Air filter

Post by LAF »

I am running one.

I will have my next oil tested and if silicates are higher than the last UOA, I will go back to paper.

I have used K&N in every car and bike I have owned over the last 15 years or so with no issues or high silicate readings in the used oil analysis.

timminator

Post by timminator »

LAF wrote: I am running one.

I will have my next oil tested and if silicates are higher than the last UOA, I will go back to paper.

I have used K&N in every car and bike I have owned over the last 15 years or so with no issues or high silicate readings in the used oil analysis.
Thanks for the reply.  My bike has about 9500 miles currently, but I'm thinking of switching when I get the 12K service.  If you wouldn't mind posting the results of your next oil analysis when it's done, that would be great!

Tim
BMW MOA #210438
timminator

Post by timminator »

I just watched a Youtube video on air filter replace on R1200RT LC, and wow, what a colossal pain in the backside.  Good video though, this guy is worth following if you like to do your own maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iY6jKeppEs
BMW MOA #210438
LAF

Post by LAF »

Well if there is anything more of a pain then changing the air filter in a new RT, it is changing the light bulb on it!

The most insanely designed things I have had to touch recently.
timminator

Post by timminator »

LAF wrote: Well if there is anything more of a pain then changing the air filter in a new RT, it is changing the light bulb on it!

The most insanely designed things I have had to touch recently.
Designed to encourage you to take it to the dealer$hip and pay them by the hour for such trivial maintenance.
BMW MOA #210438
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

The front light cluster is designed to have bulbs changed by a three way articulated chimp with extra long fingers, or as in my case take all the panels of do it in a couple of minutes. Begs the question how much do you need to take off to change a light bulb. Similarly with the air filter.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
Rhun

Post by Rhun »

I had a main beam bulb go this morning, what a finicky bit of kit to change on a TC RT. Nearly an hour to do one bulb. Was going to change all my bulbs to osram night breaker but I think not now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk