Lowering suspension 2009 1200RT ESA

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BBT600

Lowering suspension 2009 1200RT ESA

Post by BBT600 »

Has anyone used a kit to lower the suspension?  I`m considering the Hyperpro kit. They have a kit for both non-ESA and with-ESA, with different part numbers so there must be a difference.
BBT600

Re: Lowering suspension 2009 1200RT ESA

Post by BBT600 »

I`ve just had mine lowered using the Hyperpro springs. It makes a great difference and I`m delighted with the result. It makes the bike completely manageable. Fully loaded with pillion and baggage was a problem before as the higher spring load setting lifted the bike, which had me on tiptoes when I least needed it. The Hyperpro claim is that the springs lower the bike by 25mm, and I would suggest that it might be slightly more.
A couple of downsides are
1. It affects how the bike sits on the stands. In practice I`ll probably just be more careful where I park it, allowing for any street camber to assist with the bikes leaning angle. I might look for a shorter side stand, but at this stage I`m not too bothered. The main stand is a little harder to lift, but I found it was ok when assisted by my pillion.
2. Lowering the bike also lowers the clearances when cornering ! I haven`t found this to be a problem, but my style of riding is more sedate these days and I hope this won`t be a problem.
mcwhirtj

Re: Lowering suspension 2009 1200RT ESA

Post by mcwhirtj »

BBT600 wrote: I`ve just had mine lowered using the Hyperpro springs. It makes a great difference and I`m delighted with the result. It makes the bike completely manageable. Fully loaded with pillion and baggage was a problem before as the higher spring load setting lifted the bike, which had me on tiptoes when I least needed it. The Hyperpro claim is that the springs lower the bike by 25mm, and I would suggest that it might be slightly more.
A couple of downsides are
1. It affects how the bike sits on the stands. In practice I`ll probably just be more careful where I park it, allowing for any street camber to assist with the bikes leaning angle. I might look for a shorter side stand, but at this stage I`m not too bothered. The main stand is a little harder to lift, but I found it was ok when assisted by my pillion.
2. Lowering the bike also lowers the clearances when cornering ! I haven`t found this to be a problem, but my style of riding is more sedate these days and I hope this won`t be a problem.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk