Sticking menu button

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Potential new owner..
Been liked: 1 time

Sticking menu button

Post by Potential new owner.. »

My menu button is tending to stick..Would a squirt of WD40 be ok..?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Sticking menu button

Post by Casbar »

I tend to use a skirt of silicon spray. But not sure if that is a good idea, but been okay for a year or so.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I'm a WD40 fan - works for me !  :)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Casbar wrote: I tend to use a skirt of silicon spray. But not sure if that is a good idea, but been okay for a year or so.
I have heard different stories regarding the use of silicon with electrical connections.  There's been some concerns raised about it actually acting as an insulator and interfering with the electrical contacts.  I'm guessing the electrical contacts are sealed, so if it's just lubricating where the 2 plastic surfaces meet it is probably fine.  This is from another site I follow:

"Sometimes a poor connection is actually caused by a well meaning person trying to help the problem by using cleaning sprays that contain silicones to make the connections water-repellent. Why is this harmful? This is because silicone when certain conditions exist, can combine with metal ions to form high resistive films such as sodium silicate."

I try to avoid silicon in these cases, especially with the abundance of lubes available.  But as always, your mileage may vary.
BMW MOA #210438
T6pilot

Post by T6pilot »

How old is bike, possibly covered by warranty!
If your worried about the contacts, LPS makes a electro contact cleaner, I've also used their Lube that has PTFE in it on aircraft switches with no ill effects
Jim
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

timminator wrote: I have heard different stories regarding the use of silicon with electrical connections.  There's been some concerns raised about it actually acting as an insulator and interfering with the electrical contacts.  I'm guessing the electrical contacts are sealed, so if it's just lubricating where the 2 plastic surfaces meet it is probably fine.  This is from another site I follow:

"Sometimes a poor connection is actually caused by a well meaning person trying to help the problem by using cleaning sprays that contain silicones to make the connections water-repellent. Why is this harmful? This is because silicone when certain conditions exist, can combine with metal ions to form high resistive films such as sodium silicate."

I try to avoid silicon in these cases, especially with the abundance of lubes available.  But as always, your mileage may vary.

I use silicon to free the plastic switches so they move more freely and to seal from water ingress, not to help the contacts. I also use it on the sat nav release switch which always sticks during the winter when its cold. For cleaning contacts I would use contact cleaner
Potential new owner..

Post by Potential new owner.. »

Thanks for the replies. My bikes still under warranty and I've actually a service booked for next week so I can mention it to the dealer then.