Do I need tank protectors?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
richardofyorks

Do I need tank protectors?

Post by richardofyorks »

I will be taking delivery of a new RT in a couple of weeks. Apologies if this has been covered before but am I likely to need tank paintwork protectors for the section where the tank meets the front of the seat and the sides of the tank where my knees will be? If so can anyone recommend a clear film manufacturer? Thanks
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Re: Do I need tank protectors?

Post by DaveCly »

Have a word with Russ at ...

http://www.invisiblepatterns.co.uk/contact.html

Had my RT done there 👍
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

3M products sell such film, part or full bike kits, through various retail outlets. I bought my part kit (for the panniers) from Nippy Normans, and I bought self-adhesive rubber moulding patches for the tank top and sides, also from NN.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I have been riding my 2016 RT through 2 summers now, and about 10K miles without any protection.  The tank on both sides still looks great, no scratches or marks of any kind.  I think it varies somewhat on the riding gear you use, how abrasive the material is, and whether you have zippers in contact with the paint, etc...  Most often I am wearing heavy riding jeans (Aerostich Protekt),and have had zero problems.

There is another aspect to consider though, some folks install these for the added grip they provide as your legs surround the tank.  Again, I have not found them necessary but I know some prefer them.  There's a product called "Snake Skin" that is very popular in the US, but they have distributors in the uk as well.  http://techspec-usa.com/motorcycles/bmw/bmw-r1200rt-2014-current-snake-skin-tank-grip-pads.html
Last edited by timminator on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Been riding my 2015 RT 2 years now mostly wearing BMW rider suits occasionally leathers, about 15K miles without any protection.  The tank on both sides still looks good, no scratches or marks of any kind...  Hope that helps, Peter
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

My 2007 model has done 35,000 miles and the paintwork at the side of the tank etc is still immaculate.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I fitted the clear tank protector kit from Nippy Normans when I bought my RT in December. 9 months on the plastic is a bit scuffed, which leads me to think I have protected my paintwork somewhat - but it might just be that the plastic scuffs more easily. What is definitely useful are the clear protectors for the painted sections on the panniers. The number of times I have caught them with my boot cannot be counted and at least one of the plastic protectors now has a deep scratch in it - so those are definitely worth fitting.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
richardofyorks

Post by richardofyorks »

Thanks for all your replies guys
alistair137

Post by alistair137 »

I bought a 3M kit for my new RT last month. When it arrived I found it didn't have protection for the sides where my legs were rubbing the paint.  My paint was being marked and I ended up buying 3M tape from Dingbro (parts supplier) and making up panels myself.  If you are worried about your paint, it is definitely worth putting something on, but check what you are getting before you buy it.  A full kit from 3M is around £160
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

+1 for the Nippy Norman's option.  Relatively cheap and they do work.  Used them on my last three BMs.  One other tip:  If like me you are really tight it is possible to polish boot scuffs from NN's pannier protectors using T-cut or similar.  Just be patient.....  Good exercise too.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, I found Autoglym's Intensive Tar Remover is good for getting rid of those pannier film scuff marks.