Budget Tyres ?.

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Budget Tyres ?.

Post by Our Gee »

Just been having a look at possible replacement tyres before an up-coming trip down to Provence. For the last three or four tyre changes I have used Dunlop Roadsmarts, (the original version) and these are still available despite the fact that the current Roadsmart is now the third version of this tyre. I would have hoped that Dunlop would have by now reduced the price of the original Roadsmart 1 to align more with the cost of the so called budget tyres which are available on the market but no doubt as the Roadsmart 1 is still selling well why should they.
This brings me around to thinking, what about other manufacturers "budget" priced tyres that are available out there and has anyone any experience of these.
For example National Bike Tyres do a Continental Contimotion pair deal in RT sizes for £133 plus about a tenner fitting to loose wheels. At that price and unless unless they are absolute rubbish (which I doubt as Continental are a well respected manufacturer) are they worth a try ?.

If anyone has experience of "budget" tyres on an RT it would be interesting to hear opinions.
Last edited by Our Gee on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Budget Tyres ?.

Post by beemerboy9 »

The major advances in tyre design over the last 10 years have been the use of silica compounds to improve wet-road grip, enhanced warm-up in cold conditions and longevity plus,I would say, the widespread introduction of special carcass constructions suited for heavy-weight machines.

I don't think there is anything wrong with "budget" tyres provided that one accepts that the performance envelope is not so wide as the most modern high-performance tyre.

I have read that the Roadsmart III is a dramatic improvement over the I in wet conditions.

Hope this helps......

John

P.S. At least you haven't asked about car tyres  ^-^
John Bentall
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Personally and no offence intended to anyone, but those little rubber bands are all that stands between joyful riding and an early grave...
I could tell you several circumstances where with all the best intentions, someone has decided to save a few quid and paid the ultimate price.

Best not to scrimp.

Ride safe  :)
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

+1 with what Cleverbee said.  IMHO better to spec out what you want to suit your riding style and then find the best available.  Personal choice (so far) Michelin PR4.
OOF
Great Britain

Post by OOF »

Ditto Cleverbee & Sprintgull.

Quality bike with budget tyres does'nt make sense.

Sounds like you'd spoil your trip to Provence.

PR4's work well for me too.

R1250RT LE 2019
waja2000

Post by waja2000 »

[size=16px]can consider Pirelli Angel GT
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Ditto Cleverbee & Sprintgull & OOF :-)

If you save £50 on a tyre that does 5,000 miles that's a penny a mile saved or you can look at it as spent and enjoyed!

Peter
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

I'd say call around local tyre dealers for specials on previous model tyres.
Bridgestone T30 etc
Dunlop Roadsmart 1 or 2
etc
Peter
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Tyres and brakes are about the only thing worth not scrimping on IMHO. One scary moment with a particular make, put me off them forever. But like everything depends on how you ride, most of us are nowhere near the limits of the tyres we use.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Two things that I woud never scrimp on:
Tyres and helmet
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

Everyone has their own view on the subject.  This thread reminds me of the objection to a less expensive helmet.  "How much is your head worth".  That is a great marketing ploy, but it is about as close to the truth as the Wizard of Oz.

Take it from someone that has used ContiMotions.  I still have the front tire on after about 7K miles. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM!

The cost of motorcycle tires for the premium advertised models (such as: Michelin, etc.) is absolutely ridiculously high for an item that will last you less than 10,000 miles.

I was told "you will not get the same level of performance out of Contimotions that you will with "X" brand".  Hogwash !!!!

Performance wise, those tires are just fine.  Mileage on the other hand, well that will vary based on how you ride.  My rear tire lasted just below 5K.  My front tire is just about 7K now and it still has a little life left in it.

When my rear tire ran out, I put on a Roadsmart III.  The combination of the two (Cont. front and Dunlop rear) is just fine and provides more than adequate performance on my '05 RT in any road condition.

All I can say is at less than 65.00 per front tire, I sure got my money's worth.  The rear, well, I have to stop twisting the throttle so much.  I was doing fine with it until I lost my discipline.

Give them a try !!! 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

No thanks, luckily I can afford to put decent brand tyres on my bikes and I can also afford a decent Helmet. Each to their own. Helmet wise, of course budget brands meet the minimum standards, but more expensive helmets are quieter, lighter, again its an individual choice.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote: most of us are nowhere near the limits of the tyres we use.

This is true.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Casbar wrote: But like everything depends on how you ride, most of us are nowhere near the limits of the tyres we use.

Just ain't trying hard enough...😂😂😂😂😂😂
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !