Getting a round in

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
DonVulpes

Getting a round in

Post by DonVulpes »

Morning All.

I'm coming off a Tiger Explorer and I'm still undecided on which bike to go for. Pretty sure it's going to be either the R1200RT or a K1600GT. I've tested both ( for about 30 minutes each ) and even though the GT was my favourite, I keep hearing how fantastic the RT is and I should give it another go.

With that in mind, I thought I should join the forum, say hello and get a round in. Then I can hopefully get some gems of info from you guys ( and girls ).

So whatcha drinking ?
No matter where I'm going, getting there on two wheels is always best.
ds99

Re: Getting a round in

Post by ds99 »

I've never ridden the GT, as I own an RT, but I think the general consensus online seems to be is the RT is more versatile, lighter, and easier to move around that the GT.

The GT has a higher top speed, is more powerful, but it a lot heavier (330kg!)

see these links

https://www.reddit.com/r/Motorrad/comme ... r_r1200rt/

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k16 ... grets.html

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2 ... ck.987059/

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1600gt-gtl ... 00gtl.html
ds99

Post by ds99 »

you could also look at the Suzuki Vstrom 1000?
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Both the RT and GT are fantastic bikes. I am a little bloke and prefer the light weight of the RT (on my 3rd one now). If I was a big bloke, did more two-up riding or spent a lot more time north of 80 mph I might prefer the K16.

If you want the K16, then get it. It's a great option for those who firmly believe that, "If enough is good, then more must be better".  Don't for one minute think that that the RT is the lesser option - it's just different.

I was in my local Ducati dealership recently (it's where I get my Italian-made Honda serviced) and there was a 600 Monster-owing punter who had just test-ridden a Multistrada 950 and pronounced himself totally happy. But the salesman was a good mind-reader. He told the punter that the 950 was a girl's or a learner's bike and told him that he needed the 1200 just in case - which was just what the punter wanted to hear.
John Bentall
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

DonVulpes wrote: Morning All.

I'm coming off a Tiger Explorer and I'm still undecided on which bike to go for. Pretty sure it's going to be either the R1200RT or a K1600GT. I've tested both ( for about 30 minutes each ) and even though the GT was my favourite, I keep hearing how fantastic the RT is and I should give it another go.

With that in mind, I thought I should join the forum, say hello and get a round in. Then I can hopefully get some gems of info from you guys ( and girls ).

So whatcha drinking ?
Hi DonVulpes
I have a Tiger but since I got my first RT this year (17LC ) I haven't been back on the Tiger since. I've covered more miles on the RT since picking it up than I have on the Tiger in 18months. I love it
The RT is perfect for me as the K16 is just to big and bulky.

DonVulpes

Post by DonVulpes »

beemerboy9 wrote: Both the RT and GT are fantastic bikes. I am a little bloke and prefer the light weight of the RT (on my 3rd one now). If I was a big bloke, did more two-up riding or spent a lot more time north of 80 mph I might prefer the K16.

If you want the K16, then get it. It's a great option for those who firmly believe that, "If enough is good, then more must be better".  Don't for one minute think that that the RT is the lesser option - it's just different.

I was in my local Ducati dealership recently (it's where I get my Italian-made Honda serviced) and there was a 600 Monster-owing punter who had just test-ridden a Multistrada 950 and pronounced himself totally happy. But the salesman was a good mind-reader. He told the punter that the 950 was a girl's or a learner's bike and told him that he needed the 1200 just in case - which was just what the punter wanted to hear.
Funnily enough the 950 was on the shortlist, and then I found out what service costs are like and changed my mind, very quickly.
DonVulpes

Post by DonVulpes »

ds99 wrote: I've never ridden the GT, as I own an RT, but I think the general consensus online seems to be is the RT is more versatile, lighter, and easier to move around that the GT.

The GT has a higher top speed, is more powerful, but it a lot heavier (330kg!)

see these links

https://www.reddit.com/r/Motorrad/comments/38xttn/k1600gt_or_r1200rt/

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-general-discussions/2398-r1200rt-k1600gt-regrets.html

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2014-k1600-vs-2014-r1200rt-back-to-back.987059/

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1600gt-gtl/69503-r1200rt-k1600gtl.html
Those are great. I'll enjoy going through those. Thanks
DonVulpes

Post by DonVulpes »

michaelc2710 wrote: Hi DonVulpes
I have a Tiger but since I got my first RT this year (17LC ) I haven't been back on the Tiger since. I've covered more miles on the RT since picking it up than I have on the Tiger in 18months. I love it
The RT is perfect for me as the K16 is just to big and bulky.
Thankfully I don't find thw eight an issue as the Explorer is hugely top heavy so I found the GT easily manageable. What it would be like with SWMBO and stuffed luggage is a different matter  :wonder:
DonVulpes

Post by DonVulpes »

ds99 wrote: you could also look at the Suzuki Vstrom 1000?
I have given it thorough consideration, but I would like shaft drive again. I do some big tours and chain maintenance isn't something I want to be thinking off.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

Personally I think if you wanted a comfortable versatile bike for touring, the RT really can't be beat. It's a little heavy when parking (like all big bikes are), and the BMW servicing/maintenance cost can be pricey (although good independent garages are around), but once you have got that electric screen up, the heated seat/grips on, and the cruise control on..you will not want to go back to another bike.
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

ds99 wrote: Personally I think if you wanted a comfortable versatile bike for touring, the RT really can't be beat. It's a little heavy when parking (like all big bikes are), and the BMW servicing/maintenance cost can be pricey (although good independent garages are around), but once you have got that electric screen up, the heated seat/grips on, and the cruise control on..you will not want to go back to another bike.
Service costs can be misleading.  BMW dealers are expensive, no doubt, but they are not necessarily significantly more than others.  If you are willing to do the minor maintenance (e.g. oil and filters), then the costs come done significantly.  Also look at the scheduled intervals for the different bike manufacturers.  Longer intervals on the BMW reduce the overall costs and make the total operating costs much more similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DonVulpes

Post by DonVulpes »

ds99 wrote: Personally I think if you wanted a comfortable versatile bike for touring, the RT really can't be beat. It's a little heavy when parking (like all big bikes are),and the BMW servicing/maintenance cost can be pricey (although good independent garages are around),but once you have got that electric screen up, the heated seat/grips on, and the cruise control on..you will not want to go back to another bike.
The biggest thing for me is that I tested with no panniers or topbox and no SWMBO.

Having all that on top could well be the tipping point. When I tested the S1000XR I was sorely tempted ( that was wonderfully light and agile ), but SWMBO wasn't taken with it and if I'm doing a second US trip on the bike, it has to be comfy for her too.

Reading the links that you posted and speaking to a few mates makes me think I need to do a longer ride on the RT and K16, because buffeting wasn't an issue on either bike for me, but the pillion seat might be a whole different place to be.

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I came from a K1300GT to the RT last year and also considered the K1600GT.  The old K13 was a very quick bike, but to be honest the RT does not seem that much slower at sensible speeds and is a lot more relaxing to ride.  The weight is carried much lower and this (imho) makes the bike feel a lot more nimble and it is easier to paddle about.  I just thought the K16 was too much....  In a good way, yes, but for me the RT is the better bike.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I came off a GT for a RT
Plus for GT fast, great handling, good weather protection, would accelerate in any gear without complaint
Negative- heavy not a easy bike to walk around
Plus for RT- great handling, good weather protection, lots of power one up, easy service and 200 pounds lighter than GT
Negative-engine has a bit of vibration at 3000+ rpm',more RPM sensitive than 1600
Overall RT gets the Vote over the GT in my opinion, could be why the RT
Outsells the GT ten to one in US

Jim
Royal

Post by Royal »

I did the same as T6pilot and changed from a GTse to an RTle and would agree with all his points, once moving there's not a lot difference silky smooth inline 6 against a 'characterful' vibie boxer twin. RT light and agile, GT very heavy, service costs from BMW dealer are very similar but you do wear a rear tyre out sooner on the heavier GT.
Both great bikes the GT loses more in residual costs against a similar mileage RT and if it was my money I'd buy the RT again. Hope this helps
Royal :)