Shuberth C4 Reviews

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Shuberth C4 Reviews

Post by timminator »

For any of you that own and have been using a C4, can you comment on your experience with it?  I am strongly considering buying one, I like the hidden SC1 comm system, and am looking for a helmet that's very quiet, and of course comfortable.  Reading some reviews on Revzilla that are not so great, everything from very noisy to uncomfortable, overall rating of 3.5 stars.  Hard to know who to believe.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share.
BMW MOA #210438
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Shuberth C4 Reviews

Post by beemerboy9 »

More discussion here and here .

Helmets are so personal - have you tried one on yet?
John Bentall
timminator

Post by timminator »

beemerboy9 wrote: Helmets are so personal - have you tried one on yet?
Thanks for the links. I have tried the helmet on, and it seems to fit my head well.  But how it fits in the store is not necessarily how it feels after 8 hours on the highway.  And of course, I have no idea how quiet it really is.  As expensive as this helmet/comm is, I would expect near perfection, but even with the new links you provided, there seems to be a lot of complaints.
Last edited by timminator on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
Subman

Post by Subman »

Haven't had my C4 long and only have a couple hundred miles on it, but:

(a) The sound from the built in speakers is fine, and synching up the SRC unit via bluetooth to the stereo/GPS was easy.

(b) Noise level is comparable to my C3 Pro - difficult to say if it's much different.  It's at least as quiet, perhaps a bit quieter - but maybe that's just what I want to believe.

(c) Can't comment much on comfort in that I bought and wore a Large C3 Pro and went with an XL in the C4 - the Large was always just that tiny bit tight.  Moving to an XL made all the difference, so in my case it's not a true comparison.

I only made the switch because my son is just getting his motorcycle license and starting to ride (on a new 310R) so I gave him my C3 to save him the expense of buying a helmet.
timminator

Post by timminator »

Subman wrote: Haven't had my C4 long and only have a couple hundred miles on it, but:

(a) The sound from the built in speakers is fine, and synching up the SRC unit via bluetooth to the stereo/GPS was easy.

(b) Noise level is comparable to my C3 Pro - difficult to say if it's much different.  It's at least as quiet, perhaps a bit quieter - but maybe that's just what I want to believe.

(c) Can't comment much on comfort in that I bought and wore a Large C3 Pro and went with an XL in the C4 - the Large was always just that tiny bit tight.  Moving to an XL made all the difference, so in my case it's not a true comparison.

I only made the switch because my son is just getting his motorcycle license and starting to ride (on a new 310R) so I gave him my C3 to save him the expense of buying a helmet.

Thanks for the feedback!  If all else is equal, I would think the C4 has got to be a bit more quiet just because the comm is hidden inside the helmet.  Those external comms can catch the wind and make noise on their own.
BMW MOA #210438
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

Have had my C4 here in Ontario Canada since the beginning of the summer I've put about 3,000 KMS with it.

Great helmet, easy pair with my 17 RT.  Never had to re-pair with BT, I only connect to my iPhone and not the Bike's NAV prep which has my old Nuvo 660 attached.  I also have and use the remote control for the headset so I don't have to fiddle with the helmet controls.  Really like the integration of the comms system which was a big deal for me, helmet audio is pretty good no issues.

Negatives on the helmet is with the sun visor down I find there's a wind buffing that hits my face sometimes, speed dependent, so I tend to ride with my visor up however I find VERY frequently the visor will slam shut if I ride above +60 km/hr.  I don't know if there's a way to 'tighten' the visor as I haven't bothered to check. Anyone else experience this?

Noise issues, don't really notice it or bother me as I usually have the audio on.

Overall, enjoy the helmet and would purchase again but the visor issue is a bit of a pain in the ass but that might be a one-off.

Cheers,

Son observe the time and fly from evil. Ecc.IV.23
timminator

Post by timminator »

Twodog wrote: Have had my C4 here in Ontario Canada since the beginning of the summer I've put about 3,000 KMS with it.

Great helmet, easy pair with my 17 RT.  Never had to re-pair with BT, I only connect to my iPhone and not the Bike's NAV prep which has my old Nuvo 660 attached.  I also have and use the remote control for the headset so I don't have to fiddle with the helmet controls.  Really like the integration of the comms system which was a big deal for me, helmet audio is pretty good no issues.

Negatives on the helmet is with the sun visor down I find there's a wind buffing that hits my face sometimes, speed dependent, so I tend to ride with my visor up however I find VERY frequently the visor will slam shut if I ride above +60 km/hr.  I don't know if there's a way to 'tighten' the visor as I haven't bothered to check. Anyone else experience this?

Noise issues, don't really notice it or bother me as I usually have the audio on.

Overall, enjoy the helmet and would purchase again but the visor issue is a bit of a pain in the ass but that might be a one-off.

Cheers,
Thanks, appreciate the feedback again.  If I can ask a clarifying question about what you mean by the sun visor.  Do you mean you have the actual helmet face open and it slams shut, or just the clear plastic face shield?  Is there a separate dark sun visor inside the helmet?
BMW MOA #210438
Twodog

Post by Twodog »

timminator wrote: Thanks, appreciate the feedback again.  If I can ask a clarifying question about what you mean by the sun visor.  Do you mean you have the actual helmet face open and it slams shut, or just the clear plastic face shield?  Is there a separate dark sun visor inside the helmet?

Hey no problems, glad I'm able to give back. 

The helmet is closed and the clear plastic face shield (visor) is up.  It has had a tendency to slam shut when up and riding +60 kms/hr, like I said could be a one off or I need to figure out how to tighten the visor.  I haven't heard other similar complaints.

This helmet also has a drop down sun visor built into the helmet, which is controlled by the white slider on the neck roll as show below, which is a graphic of my helmet. 

Cheers,

Son observe the time and fly from evil. Ecc.IV.23
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Don't worry, my C3 visor slams itself shut.
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !