How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Cleverbee

Re: How many RT LC owners actually have problems / issues?

Post by Cleverbee »

Well mind's gone in today for the corrosion warranty.  They've said if I was paying for it the amount would be £7500, but since BMW are getting the parts at trade, it's costing them £5500 to replace the engine casing, cylinder heads and final drive. Mileage, 6385.😀
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Good result for you but BMW are bonkers. They need to sort this problem out otherwise we will all be paying for it in the future with higher bike prices.
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

I can't understand why they are continuing with a known issue, £2.500for the replacement parts on my bike, that's 10k on two bikes.
It would be cheaper to powder coat them.
Dave
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Isn't that 10k on 4 bikes? As discussed previously, it only seems to impact UK bikes, although I don't understand why, but the cost to sort for the UK market vs changing the painting process for the whole production line is obviously more cost effective. Not every bike has the issue, my 2014 with 13k on the clock, not a spec and is ridden all year around.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Are they re-building now, so just changing cases rather than replacing the whole engine as they did in the begining?
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Rebuild, still cheaper for them than new engine etc.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Hi, interested to read the note from Cleverbee about the competency of the local dealer to strip the engine down. Have to take into account an assembly line does not have all the messy bits of liquids and used parts, whereas a local dealer is used to it hopefully. I am always impressed when watching the workshop at the local dealer as they usually have a couple of engines down to crank shaft level.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Let's just hope that they don't have any bits left over in a cardboard box when they hand the bike back over to me !!
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Checking my bike over at the weekend and was disappointed to see that there is a small amount of corrosion now appeared on the swing arm next to the rubber seal at the articulation joint. So far it's the only area (that I can see) and may be the result of dirt/water being trapped in the seal. Will mention it at the next service and see what comes of it.

Had the bike since December '16, ridden almost 10k miles in all weathers but with a dosing of ACF50 every two weeks during the winter months. Whenever the bike has to be put away wet I use a dehumidifier to dry it out so it is never sat overnight with water on it. So not sure I could have tried any harder to look after it.

Wouldn't stop me buying another BMW though.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

From my experience they usually put all the spare bits in a BMW bag and leave it in the topbox  ^-^
thanks and regards, Ganesh
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

Casbar wrote: Isn't that 10k on 4 bikes? As discussed previously, it only seems to impact UK bikes, although I don't understand why, but the cost to sort for the UK market vs changing the painting process for the whole production line is obviously more cost effective. Not every bike has the issue, my 2014 with 13k on the clock, not a spec and is ridden all year around.
That's Cleverbee's bike + mine. The fact remains that there are bikes with corrosion issues,see the above posts.
The RT is a flagship bike for BMW and bearing in mind the price of them this should not be happening, I think if this was occuring in their car division the issue would have been sorted by now.
Dave
circlehappenork

Post by circlehappenork »

My dealer has raised a claim with BMW for corrosion. Waiting for them to come back to me.
All the other issues that I have will be dealt with when they'll get the parts.
The exhaust flap was changed (ie got new shiny down pipes)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Thinking to reading my 2014, but I've had no corrosion issues, and am worried about buying into some. Do love the 2018 red though
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

My new Rt is being delivered today. I have traded the 15 plate for a 17 with 2.5k on the clock and a long warranty, hopefully I will be as lucky as Casbar and get one that is ok :)
Dave
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Quick question, has anyone had corrosion problems with the black engine. Salesman told me yesterday that they haven't seen any issues with the black running gear. But then I supposed its mostly newer models so it may have not happened yet  8)