Warming Up Before Riding

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Millman

Warming Up Before Riding

Post by Millman »

Hi everyone!  Do any of you put your bike in neutral on the side stand and start it up to let it warm up before you ride?  I did this yesterday and noticed a lot of exhaust vapor and smell from the bike. Temp was about 50f and damp outside. Just wondering if this is normal. I haven't done this before.

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Warming Up Before Riding

Post by T6pilot »

Generally climb on bike, hit the starter, then put on helmet and gloves. About a minute before riding off, easy on rpms till temp gauge shows some heat
Jim
GDD

Post by GDD »

Never.

Fuel injected motors should not need "warming up", but if it makes you happy....
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Same as GDD, never, no need, pointless.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

You should warm an engine up as quickly as possible without revving it hard before its reached normal operating temperature. Best way is to ride it ASAP after starting it.
Millman

Post by Millman »

Yes I normally climb on and get going. Just thought the smoke was moisture because of the temp and wet conditions. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Taz

Post by Taz »

Many times I have read advice that said start the engine and let it idle for 30 seconds so that the oil circulates around the engine. Then ride it but do not rev it to the red line until the engine has fully warmed up.

Works for me.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

We used to have a nearby neighbour who's early morning routine was to push his Jap 1000cc Multi complete with aftermarket end can out of his garage dressed in slippers etc, start the engine then retire back inside to appear again about 10 minutes later all kitted up and ready to go. This seriously pissed off just about everyone within a couple of hundred yards. I diplomatically approached him to point out the annoyance he is causing to his neighbours and his reply was something like "sorry mate, but you have to let the oil get around the engine you know". Still, as the saying goes, "ignorance is bliss" (no offence intended to anyone contributing to this thread).
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Warming up the engine before starting off must be a throw back to the 80's & Japanese multi-cylinder bikes.

My 1980 Yamaha XJ650 certainly needs to be "warmed up" before riding.

The Owner's Manual states, "To get maximum engine life, always "warm-up" the engine before starting off. Never accelerate hard with a cold engine!"

"To see whether or not the engine is warm, see if engine responds to throttle normally with the starter lever (CHOKE) turned off".

To this end, I always start the bike, let it warm up until the choke can be fully closed & responds to the throttle.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Our Gee wrote: We used to have a nearby neighbour who's early morning routine was to push his Jap 1000cc Multi complete with aftermarket end can out of his garage dressed in slippers etc, start the engine then retire back inside to appear again about 10 minutes later all kitted up and ready to go. This seriously pissed off just about everyone within a couple of hundred yards. I diplomatically approached him to point out the annoyance he is causing to his neighbours and his reply was something like "sorry mate, but you have to let the oil get around the engine you know". Still, as the saying goes, "ignorance is bliss" (no offence intended to anyone contributing to this thread).

Maybe a different approach would be get on his bike and ride off ! 10 minutes later come back and point out if you had been a real thief then he would have lost his bike and the insurance company would not have paid out. Sorry but leaving a bike unattended with the keys in is just bloody stupid. Twat !
ITB

Post by ITB »

Switch on.
Wait for tach/speedo needle dance.
Push starter.
1st gear.
Ride off.

gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

ITB wrote: Switch on.
Wait for tach/speedo needle dance.
Push starter.
1st gear.
Ride off.
Works for me.
I haven't done the warm up thing since my bikes had choke levers and kick starts - and then it was the bare minimum, just to make sure it wasn't going to die on me at the first junction.
For boxers with separate gearboxes, warming up makes even less sense since everything else needs to get up to temperature too, so getting under way as soon as possible is the way to go - just take it easy for the first five minutes.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Old habits die hard  :)  I like to rev the shit out of my Harley whilst it warms up too, that really annoys the neighbours  ;)  I just leave the mutt on the drive in case any theives or grumpy folk come round lol.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

gogs01 wrote: Works for me.
I haven't done the warm up thing since my bikes had choke levers and kick starts - and then it was the bare minimum, just to make sure it wasn't going to die on me at the first junction.
For boxers with separate gearboxes, warming up makes even less sense since everything else needs to get up to temperature too, so getting under way as soon as possible is the way to go - just take it easy for the first five minutes.
Best answer !

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Blueboy
JBnAZ

Post by JBnAZ »

The thought that came to mind was, from what temperature is the bike starting from? If it's seriously cold, yes, warm up the bike a bit to allow the lubricants and other fluids to warm up some.

If it's not seriously cold there is no need for any extended warm up period.

With that context, I let my bike idle for 30 or so seconds and I don't romp on the throttle until the motor is fully up to operating temps.

The next question may be how to warm it up. Riding gently is equally effective as is letting it idle in my opinion.

BTW, I treat all my vehicles in the same manner, not just the RT.