Mirrors and risers - lo-tech fixes

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Mirrors and risers - lo-tech fixes

Post by jackronner »

I wish I knew how to attach a photo. If you are offended by low-tech desecrations of a great machine, stop here!  Like me, it's cheap but not elegant.[/size]

Have read many posts regarding riders with problems with the seating position and the atrocious mirrors.  As to the former, I did a 1000 miles in one day on my old V65 Magna because I could lean back against my load, sort of like a barcalounger at 110 mph all day.  I rented a bike in Europe with an upright position similar to the RT and 200 miles absolutely killed my back (I have a touch of sciatica).  I looked into $300 adjustable risers, etc. which give you, max, 1 1/2 inches, then came up with this fix which will give you whatever rearward extension you want (this one is about 4" and it works like a charm):

I took a $1.89 sturdy perforated steel bar, bent it, slipped a piece of ribbed vacuum cleaner hose over it (with various fillers crammed in to immobilize it around the bar) and affixed it to the left bar end with a slightly longer bolt.  It almost looks like OEM, and permits a comfy reclining position and even provides support for the left wrist.  With the cruise control, I didn't put one on the throttle side.

As to the mirrors, the big news is that they don't interfere with the windshield in any setting, even at full lock when the bars are turned (unlike most after-market mirrors).  I replaced the small bar-end mirrors  I'd tried (too small, too convex - bad rear distance estimation) with mirrors designed for vertical side posts for ATV's, $32 for the pair.  The following link will show you the product, the mirror is 7 1/2" x 4".  You'll have to fill in the supposed 1 1/2" smaller brackets  for a tight fit (I cut up an old black rubber bungie - it worked fine, but you could wind slices of an inner tube, etc).  The mirrors are on a ball joint which give you adequate up and down, but minimal side-to-side movement (you have to pre-set then tighten the rotatable base a little bit before installing on the bar ends).  No vibration distortion, and protrudes less than the bar-end design mirrors I'd first bought.  Unlike the stock mirrors, they are more like old-fashioned mirrors in that their higher position still allow you a bit of peripheral vision of the road ahead when you look at them, and a great view directly behind (especially if you have a wide touring load behind you). Again, not purty but I feel safer on the road.  Here's that link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0757LYCNF/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attachments
handlebar fix.jpg
Last edited by jackronner on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
cdnrtowner

Re: Mirrors and risers - lo-tech fixes

Post by cdnrtowner »

Hey Jackronner, I like the sound of your fix for risers. A picture or 2 would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Patrick
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Mirrors and risers - lo-tech fixes

Post by jackronner »

I'd really appreciate it if you could walk me through the posting/attaching of photos, etc.  Tried and failed.  One picture would have been worth my thousand words.  My new bike is a 2005 R1200RT, which I neglected to specify in my post.

The modification works a treat.  BTW, if you find the bike a bit tall and unsteady, especially when backing it up a slight incline or rough ground, popping the lower anchor of the return spring, which tensions the front pegs forward, will allow you to fold them up during such maneuvers (manoeuvres if you're from the UK).  This prevents barked shins and bone bruises from the pegs, and allows a greater range of motion for your legs;  and, since you no longer have to adopt a wider stance to avoid the pegs, a smaller rider can point their legs straight down and take advantage of every inch of inch-seam.  This and the torturous upright position almost dissuaded me from buying the RT, but these fixes help with both problems.  Pass it around . . . I'm 5'11" and it still bothers me, so if you see a smaller rider on ti-toes, do him a favor.  Later.