Is this R1200RT the right bike for me? Need advice.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
blackbuell

Is this R1200RT the right bike for me? Need advice.

Post by blackbuell »

A little background info: been riding street bikes for 52  years (I'm 68), I'm not a large person (5'7", 150 lbs), I ride about 20K miles/year, including one or two cross-country trips 2-up. Until several months ago, I preferred my Moto Guzzi Norge over my BMW F800GT for the 2-up trips; we lost the Norge to a deer strike. I am considering the purchase of a used R1200RT to replace the Norge, but to do so, I would have to trade in my F bike.

The bike I'm considering is a 2011 with low suspension and lots of accessories; bikes has 24K miles on odo; has just had 24K maintenance performed; asking price is $11K.

I love the F800GT for local sporting rides and I find it more than adequate for 1-up touring. However, it isn't very comfortable or manageable for 2-up duty. Would the R bike still provide me with enjoyable local rides on twisty roads, or would I regret the loss of the F?

Even with the low suspension, would an old, small guy have trouble handling the R when fully loaded with gear and a passenger? I have appreciated the light weight of the F bike.

Are there any issues with the 2011 R models or with the low suspension one that I should consider? Is $11K for the bike a reasonable price.

Sorry for the multitude of questions, but I really would appreciate some advice,

Thanks,

Jon
Vryoung

Re: Is this R1200RT the right bike for me? Need advice.

Post by Vryoung »

Hi Jon,
Sorry to hear about the Norge. Hope you are fully recovered. Most deer in counters don't end well for deer or people. Dumb deer probably wasn't crossing at one of posted deer crossings. NHL

I sold my 07 Norge last year when I retired and moved from the Seattle area. The closest dealer is over 400 miles away and I was concerned about being able to do any major repairs that might arise.
I to am vertically challenged. I'm 66 years old and am 5'7" tall.
I bought a 09 rt with the low suspension and I love it. I loved the Norge but the RT fits me better and is smoother. The cornering clearance is about the same and both bikes are great fun on twisty roads.
I have two seats. A Corbin and a Russell Day Long. I can ride all day on the Day Long but it's harder to reach the ground. I fell over a few weeks ago at a stop sign on a road that was sloped.
I think you need to ask yourself, would you have been happy with the Norge as your only bike? They are great all around bikes as is the RT. You are not going to be able to push as hard in the twistys as you could have with your GT but you need to ask yourself as I did. Do I want to push as hard at my age as mmI used to?  No. My skills and reflexes can't save me from being stupid as they did in the    past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I don't know the Norge so I can't give you a direct comparison so I'll give you my experience as an ex-F800 rider and a relatively new RT owner.

The F800 has a very low centre of gravity, what with the fuel tank being under the seat. That makes it very easy and confidence-inspiring to chuck around quickly (or at least it did for me on my 2008 ST). The RT is very different to the F800 as it has a much higher centre of gravity and it is about 45 kg heavier. I have no doubt in my mind that my RT is just as capable of handling the twisties as my F800 (or either of the R1200 GS I have had in between) but it does take a bit of getting used to. Nine months into ownership I am only now starting to feel confident on the bike.

So my opinion would be, go for the RT but don't expect it to feel just right straight away. Coming from something like an F800 you may find you have to ride it a bit differently to be able to push it as hard. But don't doubt that it is perfectly capable of doing it.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

You will, of course, notice the extra bulk and weight and you won't be able the throw it around like the 800.  That doesn't mean that they are not capable of being hussled in the bends; just look at the way Plod ride them.   
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Indeed, saw a couple of unmarked plods parked up at Middle Wallop last week.  They were 17my civvy spec, with no extra lights or switches, in carbon black.  No GPS or rear heated seats either.  Virtually no chicken strips left on the back tyres either.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

I have had my 2010RT for about 2 and half years, changed from a Honda CBF1000. It is a low chassis and low seat, I am 62 and 5' 3". As mentioned before it takes a while to get the confidence to throw it into corners but when it does happen very reassuring to know it copes well, even fully loaded. I  can't see me swapping it for anything else now apart from another RT.  Use it for going to work in the main, visiting friends and the occasional break. The cambers coming to a stop and parking has thrown me a few times so now more careful about which foot goes down. Easy to move about on the flat but not when you have slopes as you do feel the weight, usually get off then. The only problem I have is pushing it backwards puts my shoulder into an awkward angle as the handlebar is a bit high for me, the LC has a lower one by the feel of it.
I would say you should get one, not sure if $11k is good or not, that's about £9k in real money?
thanks and regards, Ganesh
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

Hello,

I am 5'8" and am also vertically challenged as well.  My RT is a '05 and I put 74K miles on since 2007.  I have owned several cruisers (including a Honda '96 Magna), and also an LT.  I love my RT.  But, it has ended up on its side a number of times for various reasons.  One of the things I will mention though, when it comes to riding the twisties is the ESA. With the bike set to sport, I can honestly say it is very flickable and fun.  I usually will ride in comfort mode when in a highway.  When I ride through the mountains in Colorado (where I live), I automatically switch to sport.  Man, what fun.  The same fun is available both two up and also fully loaded.  You just set the preload at 2 riders and off you go.

If you are concerned about weight and/or handling the bike at slow speed and the potential of dropping it, my suggestion is that you arm the bike accordingly with an engine guard, and most importantly, saddle bag protection.  Believe me, I am an expert when it comes to that.  Yes, it is top heavy.  And when it starts going down, there really is no way to stop it.  Also, riding with higher heels (or boots actually modified with higher soles and heels) does help a great deal.  It inspires confidence and allows you to get the most out of the bike.  My '05 isn't lowered.  But it has the lower seat used in the lowest position.  With the lowered suspension, you will probably be fine though.

I wouldn't trade my '05 for anything.  In fact, I haven't even test driven a newer one.  I am too happy with what I have.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

I think you're gonna dig it. I have an '11 also. Took me a while to adapt to a boxer configuration since I've only had inline 4s and inline twins. I came close to reverting back to an inline 4 but decided to keep the rt. Glad I did! Absolute jewel on distance trips and a hoot on the twistie bits. You adapt.  Welcome aboard!
freyguy17

Post by freyguy17 »

I too am small, and 65 years old.  I weigh in @ about 150 lbs and am about 5'7".  I bought a used '15 r1200RT (the eggplant deep purple color), and LOVE the bike !!  Yes, it is indeed a 600 lb+ bike with full fuel, but the overall CG is low enough that I feel confident handling it at low speeds.  I recently came off of a Suzuki V Strom 650 which I bought new in 2012, BUT>>>>>>>>that bike was the WRONG choice for me...way too high of a CG and seat height, and the very long wheelbase made it difficult for me to manage at parking lot speeds. The BMW, even though over 125 lbs heavier than the Suzuki, is MUCH easier to handle, especially at low speeds.  SO, while I do NOT ever carry passengers (don't believe in the risk of doing it), the r1200RT is clearly an option for light weight guys (or gals) like us, assuming one has basic low speed riding skills, and enough lower body strength to back the bike up, using the legs, to maneuver it.  Just my 2 cents.  WITH the exception of my trusty 1981 Goldwing, this is the most ergonomically pleasing bike I have ever owned: Great wind protection (electronic windshield is my favorite luxury item !),  power, fuel economy, heated grips and seat, and that WONDERFUL cruise control !!  My only complaint with my BMW: Cost of dealership maintenance...OUCH !! But, that aside, I would not have it any other way !!  The new Goldwings are now 800-900 pound pigs, and the Harleys (I owned one...ENOUGH !) shake and vibrate themselves to pieces.  The BOXER twin is the way to go IF 1) you want a large displacement twin that has great power for it weight, and 2) you want an engine that does not vibrate you to pieces.  JMHO.  GLTY, my friend !
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I'm 5'7" too. I originally bought a low seat and had that lowered a bit too, but it wasn't comfortable on long hauls, so I refit tied the standard seat and as I had become accustomed to the bike it isn't an issue and is comfortable. You do need to be selective about where to stop and manoeuvre though. As for handling, I hadn't had it long and was trying to catch some of my group in Wales as I hadn't been able to make an overtake. The roads were wet and I miscalculated the speed I was carrying into a left hand bend with nice slippery double white lines which had to be avoided at all costs. Sharp braking was not an option either. I was convinced I was going down and in fact had my left leg out, Doctor style. The RT sailed round completely unfussed and I was amazed. The only thing I would change would be to a better rear brake like my old TDM900 had.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Check out my post "Bike Too Tall" for some low-tech NO COST remedies for this issue.