Warming Up Before Riding

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest4915

Re: Warming Up Before Riding

Post by guest4915 »

JBnAZ wrote: The thought that came to mind was, from what temperature is the bike starting from? If it's seriously cold, yes, warm up the bike a bit to allow the lubricants and other fluids to warm up some.

If it's not seriously cold there is no need for any extended warm up period.

With that context, I let my bike idle for 30 or so seconds and I don't romp on the throttle until the motor is fully up to operating temps.

The next question may be how to warm it up. Riding gently is equally effective as is letting it idle in my opinion.

BTW, I treat all my vehicles in the same manner, not just the RT.

An engine warms up far quicker if it's doing work and not idling. This will improve mpg and decrease engine wear rate.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Engine on, 1 minute idling while I put helmet / glasses / gloves on, then ride off.
But then I wait a few miles before working the engine hard, so that the oil is properly warmed up. I do this in all my vehicles. Possibly not necessary with modern oils I guess, probably shows how old I am tho.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Old-Git wrote: Engine on, 1 minute idling while I put helmet / glasses / gloves on, then ride off.
But then I wait a few miles before working the engine hard, so that the oil is properly warmed up. I do this in all my vehicles. Possibly not necessary with modern oils I guess, probably shows how old I am tho.
Exactly what I do!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Blueboy
Terry_RT

Post by Terry_RT »

I always ignite the bike, before ride her up. I then put helmet and gloves on and then ride. About 30'' or so.. Then I don't rev up until hot enough in the gauge.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-N950F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

all these moments shall be lost, like tears in the rain...
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I’ll stick with letting a cold engine have a minute to circulate all the fluids and start warming up before I ride off, then easy on throttle till one or more bars on temp gauge
Somehow I remember hearing your greatest amount of wear occurs when you first start a cold engine and you should let those moving parts get settled in before accelerating
Jim
ITB

Post by ITB »

Old-Git wrote: ...Possibly not necessary with modern oils I guess...

+1

Agreed modern oils cling to parts when cold. Oil circulation starts with the first revolution so no need to sit idling after startup and nothing in the owner's manual mentions waiting for a warmup before riding off.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Each to his own. We all have our own preferences it seems, and that’s what makes the world go around.

Happy riding.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Ganesh

Post by Ganesh »

Interesting about the oil circulation as the oil level is taken after the engine has been running and up to temperature, then switching it off and leaving for about 5 minutes. It suggests that the oil has to settle back into the sump. How much is then left covering the moving parts? Mine doesn't work well to a very cold engine as the throttle at low revs becomes a bit lumpy, I suppose this could be down to the piston temperatures not having reached optimum for ignition and the ecu is compensating by making the mix rich.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I'm in the 'start-up, put on my helmet and gloves, then ride' camp.  As the roads around home are residential for a while whichever way I go, the temp gauge is well on its way to normal by the time I'm out of the 30mph limit.  So the bike gets an easy ride for a few minutes.  After that though.......
pkpilot

Post by pkpilot »

Sprintgull wrote: I'm in the 'start-up, put on my helmet and gloves, then ride' camp.  As the roads around home are residential for a while whichever way I go, the temp gauge is well on its way to normal by the time I'm out of the 30mph limit.  So the bike gets an easy ride for a few minutes.  After that though.......
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk