Cigarette lighter?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Cigarette lighter?

Post by jackronner »

This could save lives.  No shirt.  The things smokers will do on a bike to light up would be comical if they weren't so dangerous.  Even stopping at the side of the road regularly is risky.  My 2005 R1200RT came with the old car lighter/USB port, but I don't think it would work with a conventional lighter element (I tried jury-rigging one on another bike with no luck.  A cursory googling shows nothing that admits to working as an actual lighter, tho' there is one candidate.  Anyone heard of one for sale?  I actually modified a butane jet lighter (useless at altitude) by affixing a copper plumbing elbow joint;  you guided the cigarette into the tube, out of the wind, and it fired up first try while leaning around the windscreen at 100mph in, appropriately, Death Valley (old-school beta testing).  Ultimately the particular lighter was unreliable, however, and a steady electric would be nice. 
MacJ

Re: Cigarette lighter?

Post by MacJ »

Although I'm an ex-smoker and the thought of smoking on a bike seems a bit off the wall [size=2px](bit dicey with a loose saddle as well you may end up stubbing the fag out up a nostril)[/size] I bet the little lockable box behind the screen would make a great ashtray?  I use mine to store my sat nav though.  :o

heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

Best and most economic solution....... give up smoking  :)
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

A possible solution is to put a splitter into one of the spark plug leads, run it upto the handlebars, attach a coil and adapted spark plug on a goose neck so you can reach it. This way the faster you go the quicker it should light. Being a non-smoker not sure if a spark can ignite a cigarette, worth ago. Let me know if it works and could patent it  :alas:

thanks and regards, Ganesh