Transmission (???) sound in first gear

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Transmission (???) sound in first gear

Post by jackronner »

I'm pretty sure this is a sound common to the 2005 R1200RT I just bought and this is probably paranoia talking here.  It disappears totally when you reach 2000 rpm, but it's almost like a diesel motor sound, kind of ratchety, not terrifically loud.  Not much vibration, but definitely mechanical in nature.  Someone told me it has to do with the nature of the helical transmission gears, "floating" or some such.  I'm not used to a dry clutch, but there doesn't seem to be much slippage in any gear. I guess it's also a taller first gear than I'm used to, so I have to rev the engine a bit more - in case this is a clue.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Transmission (???) sound in first gear

Post by T6pilot »

Try changing transmission gear oil, when I had my 2011 Gs, it was a bit noisy, little less when I switched to Motul 75/90 fully synthetic
As you now know, Bmw tranny’s are a bit clunky, doesn’t mean anything wrong though
Jim
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks.  I'd forgotten to ask about synthetic oil - less of an issue with a dry clutch.  I'll give it a try.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

T6pilot wrote:Try changing transmission gear oil, when I had my 2011 Gs, it was a bit noisy, little less when I switched to Motul 75/90 fully synthetic.
Which gearbox oil was being used prior to Motul 75/90 fully synthetic.

Some time ago, BMW changed the recommended gearbox oil from a fairly standard EP80W-90 to the present 75W-90 fully synthetic.
Last edited by David. on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.