1200rt ABS repair or replace options

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
adewhitmarsh

1200rt ABS repair or replace options

Post by adewhitmarsh »

What are the options to the ÀBS pump/modular failing.The cost of repair or possible replace with a newer unit ? The bike is 2005 servo model .
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: 1200rt ABS repair or replace options

Post by beemerboy9 »

Contact Steve Grover at Motoscot who can repair ABS pumps. If that does not work for you, post here again and we can point you at some breakers.

Others have done a servo-ectomy to remove it altogether.
John Bentall
dave y

Post by dave y »

If you decide to go with the ABSectomy, I can provide some tips from doing one on our '05 with sidecar.

When I looked into pump replacement, I found that they are bike model and also serial number dependent (different versions of software based upon production date??).  And when I checked on rebuild, the couple of places I contacted didn't have correct seals for my particular serial number bike. 

I ended up doing the ABSectomy and while time consuming, it isn't really that complicated.  Have been very happy with the results.

Dave

Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

BBA Reman can repair / refurbish the pumps.
Not sure what the current cost is but if you contact them and quote the part number on your pump I've no doubt they could give you a quote.
http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/index.aspx
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

beemerboy9 wrote: Contact Steve Grover at Motoscot who can repair ABS pumps. If that does not work for you, post here again and we can point you at some breakers.

Others have done a servo-ectomy to remove it altogether.

Steve no longer offers the servo repair service.
Dan-Man79

Post by Dan-Man79 »

Replace,
I sent my 07 ABS2 module to Module Masters.  For $250 plues $50 shipping each way it came back working like new.
They bench test/exercise the rebuild module for several days and send back with a 5 year warranty.  They are not much on chit chat, not a peep from them.  They say it takes 5 full working days from when they receive it and they send it out on the 6th and not a minute early.  Had mine rebuilt last winter, ran all summer without a problem. If your module is listed I'd use them.  modulemaster.com
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Ok thanks,just had the brake fluid changed and I was told a fault code had come up,so may need repairing soon.cheers
ITB

Post by ITB »

In 2012 I had a 2006 RT with ABS module failure and ModuleMasters couldn't get parts for '05/'06 rebuild. It appears from their website that they still can't fix that module but you might give them a call. I replaced mine with a new $2400 module and sold the bike. By the way, techs have told me that strict fluid maintenance has no cause/effect on avoiding the 05/06 ABS module failure.
promptcritical

Post by promptcritical »

I have an '05 R1200RT that is starting to have problems with the servo brakes (and more frequently). I've gotten estimate in the $4K USD range to repair the bike from a local dealer (with essentially no meaningful warranty). 

Since this isn't a great option, can someone point me to some technical information on how to remove the servo and/or ABS system?

Thanks, Mike

dave y wrote: If you decide to go with the ABSectomy, I can provide some tips from doing one on our '05 with sidecar.

When I looked into pump replacement, I found that they are bike model and also serial number dependent (different versions of software based upon production date??).  And when I checked on rebuild, the couple of places I contacted didn't have correct seals for my particular serial number bike. 

I ended up doing the ABSectomy and while time consuming, it isn't really that complicated.  Have been very happy with the results.

Dave