BMW StreetGuard textile suit....problems.....?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Rossyuk39
Bike Model and Year: RT 2015
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

BMW StreetGuard textile suit....problems.....?

Post by Rossyuk39 »

I have had one of these suits since May 2015 and have returned the trousers twice and jacket once within the 2 years warranty as they leaked. [/font][/size]

The warranty expired May this year. I ride all year round, through good and not so good weather, but between May and September, I was lucky with the weather not getting caught in the wet stuff however, whilst in France during a 4 day break in September, it rained and yet again, both the jacket and trousers leaked.

BMW state they won't replace the suit as the warranty has expired, but will allow me a 50% discount on a new suit. I have totally lost confidence with the BMW brand and won't be purchasing anything else from them, clothing wise.

Has anyone else had similar leaks with the StreetGuard suit and had problems or indeed good service relating to warranty and replacement?

Please PM me if you prefer, otherwise I would like to hear from anyone, especially within the U.K. so I can start to compile an evidence file, prior to writing to BMW.

Thank you in anticipation

Rossy
Keep on the grey bits .....Rossy
STeinar

Re: BMW StreetGuard textile suit....problems.....?

Post by STeinar »

I got a new set this summer, and after one week I found that i was totally wet on both underarms  after two hours of riding in rain.

I more than one's had the feeling I would like to go back into my Rukka, but they are to warm in mid summer. 

I'm not sure I would have bought the StreetGuard if I had known then what i know today ???
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Quite a few people have had issues with Street Guard kit from a couple of years ago. I read other posts when I was looking for a suit, which is what drove me to Rukka. I had some stitching come away on my trousers, but Rukka sorted it, so for me the 6 year warranty is worth it, price is comparable as well.
Rossyuk39
Bike Model and Year: RT 2015
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Rossyuk39 »

Well, after sending a letter to BMW UK, outlining my trials over the 29 months, which equated to 103 hours in the saddle (mainly due to my back injury) I had the suit, returning it 4 times in total, all for leaking areas, they have replied and stated that the suit is out of their 2 year warranty and they are offering a 50% discount on a new suit. Final offer.

Guess what I will not be buying, even at 50% off !!

Rukka offer 5 years and Stadler offer 10 years, they're German as well.
Keep on the grey bits .....Rossy
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Rukka is 6 years. But they will not replace or fix if they deem the suit to be leaking due to wear and tear.
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

I would concur that the Rukka is much better built and mine has gone through some severe weather and worked well. Someone suggested the BMW gear was now made by the Alpinestars factories noticed their logo on a jacket, whereas previously it was Rukka designs, not sure how accurate that is. I have a pair of Held trousers which I discovered were not rain let alone storm proof. Now resorted to wearing some over trousers. I have tried the range of BMW gear and only bought one pair of lightweight trousers, however not intending to test them if it is seriously wet, so far has taken the odd shower.
Also found that the lengths of both jackets and trousers are too long for me so not likely to purchase one, even though I could get the staff discount through a relative working in a dealership.
thanks and regards, Ganesh