In for service..

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

In for service..

Post by Sullivj »

Today, 'Tim The Plumber' kindly took my RT to the garage for me, for its annual service.

It's having new oil, filter, brake fluid, gearbox oil and final drive oil change.  Tim has a wet head GS, and commented how 'lumpy' my RT felt by comparison. Like it was somehow lacking in power...

I've not driven another RT, or his GS for that matter, so now I'm wondering if mine has an issue, or its just 'different'.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: In for service..

Post by simbo »

It's called "character"  ;)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Hi John
Character in motor cycle dictionary means bag of loose nuts sorry iiinform you but I'm drunk and can't lie.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

That would explain why every gear change still feels like I'm throwing a handful of nuts and bolts into an empty paint can!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Sullivj wrote: Today, 'Tim The Plumber' kindly took my RT to the garage for me, for its annual service.
It's having new oil, filter, brake fluid, gearbox oil and final drive oil change. Tim has a wet head GS, and commented how 'lumpy' my RT felt by comparison. Like it was somehow lacking in power...
I've not driven another RT, or his GS for that matter, so now I'm wondering if mine has an issue, or its just 'different'.
Joking aside, a GS and RT of similar vintage should feel broadly similar in terms of engine characteristics, but comparing an air cooled RT with a more modern water cooled GS simply demonstrates the advances made with unit construction, wet clutch and another 10 or 15 horsepower. 
Nothing wrong with the old RTs, but the latest boxers are different animals.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I'm sure you're right Gogs.

To be honest, I've never loved the agricultural feel of my RT.  If the garage was burning down, it's the bike I'd wheel out last.

I'll probably return to a Honda for my next 'big' bike.

Rhun

Post by Rhun »

I currently have an RS as a courtesy bike whilst the RT is undergoing some warranty work. The LC boxer is certainly very different and more torquey/smooth etc however I can't help but feel it lacks the character of the twin cam.

The LC is definitely less picky about what gear it's in at the lower end where I find the sheer amount of torque carries through whereas the TC would chug.

A very different engine that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Sullivj wrote: I'm sure you're right Gogs.
To be honest, I've never loved the agricultural feel of my RT. If the garage was burning down, it's the bike I'd wheel out last.
I'll probably return to a Honda for my next 'big' bike.
I've had four RTs, from 2007 to current and I've liked them all. The latest is the smoothest and most sophisticated and most like a four cylinder machine.
Previously, I had several big Kawasakis, Triumph 1200 Trophy and Yamaha FJR1300A. They were mostly more powerful than the RTs and less agricultural too, but as an overall package, the RT is my choice. It is comfortable, has a huge tank range, is plenty quick enough (for me) and has fewer issues with engine heat burning my legs than any other bike I've owned or ridden.
I've never owned a Honda, but they certainly have an interesting range - I look forward to hearing what you choose to replace the RT. ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:I've not driven another RT, or his GS for that matter, so now I'm wondering if mine has an issue, or its just 'different'.
It's just different, having owned a 2007 Hexhead & two (2010 & 2012) Twincams, plus had a good test ride on an LC, I agree with some of the comments posted so far.

For me, the LC engine has lost some of the "Boxer Twin" character and felt like an IL4 Jap Bike.
Last edited by David. on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

The mechanic called today. He completed the service and set the synchronisation, which was apparently 'way out'.

Then he took it for a test ride and said "your mate is right. It's horrible. There's something wrong with it'.

He's going to investigate tomorrow, but thinks it may be a failing coil.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Sullivj wrote: The mechanic called today. He completed the service and set the synchronisation, which was apparently 'way out'.

Then he took it for a test ride and said "your mate is right. It's horrible. There's something wrong with it'.

He's going to investigate tomorrow, but thinks it may be a failing coil.
Which is probably why the sync was way out.
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Heard from the mechanic. The rough running was due to a poorly connecting coil.

Anyway, it's sorted apparently.  Oil, filter, brake fluid, gearbox oil, final drive oil and investigation work. £360
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Glad it’s hopefully sorted! Having read the thread I thought Tim might be pulling your plonker, and I only met him that weekend, 😂
Sullivj
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I wouldn't have put it passed him Dave... Especially as I posted a pic of him on Facebook whilst nearly dropping it as his little legs frantically searched for the floor!!