Low MPG

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Low MPG

Post by jackronner »

To David and Ganesh:  first, thanks for the input.  Second, when you give your MPG for your bikes, I take it you're talking Imperial gallons, right?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:When you give your MPG for your bikes, I take it you're talking Imperial gallons, right?
Yes, UK gallons.
LAF

Post by LAF »

I always am amazed at others MPG. 

I am in the USA and I get about 43 MPG as a average.  I may do a bit better on a 55 MPH cruise but not much.  On our PA mountain/valley roads moving pretty good I get 40.  But that is a lot of 3rd gear and heavy acceleration out of turns and up hills.

Like I say if I got 50 US MPG I would not know how to act.

It is all the right wrist as far as  I can see.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

The UK gallon and the USA gallon are not the same - you have to apply a conversion factor of 1.2 to get an accurate comparison. So 43 mpg on a US bike would be (43 x 1.2 =) 51.6 mpg in the UK. 55 mph while cruising would work out at 66 mpg here. Those figures are comparable with what I get from my bike.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

I have never reset the MPG display on my 2012 RT.  Unless there are circumstances under which it is reset that I am not aware of (service time, battery change or whatever) it reflects the average over the lifetime of the bike - 4 years and 12,000 miles - which is 55 mpg. 
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

LAF, think that's not bad if most of your work is done going through the gears into third and back. The only times I have to be in third or fourth is the speed control areas at 30, 40 or 50 which for me are not that frequent, thankfully now the M3 is back to normal. For those not in the area it is a motorway and had road works over a 20 plus mile section for nearly 5 years (could have been more) with a 50 speed and enough cameras to enforce it.
I usually reset the ave MPG every few months to see how much it varies by or if I plan to do a long trip.
thanks and regards, Ganesh