Russell seat advice needed

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
tamiller

Russell seat advice needed

Post by tamiller »

I shipped my seat off today to have a Russell Day Long seat built for my 2017 R1200RT.  .  As it stands now I have not ordered a rider/driver backrest for the seat.  What is your general feeling on the need for a backrest on this motorcycle? 

I noticed in the pictures page on their website that most of the seats are built without a backrest, and the ones pictured aren't particularly handsome in my opinion. 

I rode a Goldwing for 16 years with a backrest but the RT has more rise in the pillion so it offers some support as it is.  I'm on the fence about spending this amount of money for something I may not need.  Thanks in advance for the responses. 
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Russell seat advice needed

Post by jackronner »

Don't know about the back comfort factor.  It's a bit too upright for my taste, and does not adjust forward and back, tho' it does pivot in the middle of the attachment.  I did note that the rider's seat is quite hard;  much less padding than the stock seat, and yet doesn't seem any lower in terms of improving your ability to flat foot this tall bike.  I should think that the seat's lack of padding might prove a problem in terms of MPB (miles per butt) on a long ride.  I'd suggest that you could get low-tech back support on a tour by simply stacking your load behind you so as to provide support, and it would make pounds and pence (or dollars and cents) sense in terms of the expense.
ca1ic0cat

Post by ca1ic0cat »

My wife always liked her backrest but I wouldn't put a backrest in front of a passenger.  Had friends who had an accident that way and the passenger was really messed up.
Millman

Post by Millman »

Ok. I got a Russell with a backrest. It is great. It does adjust up and down and forward and back. I like it as it keeps me from slouching and gives me support with the pressure like a lumbar support on a car seat. The back rest slides out for easy removal so when I ride 2 up with my wife, I take it out.  I'll try to post some pictures if I can figure it out.  As far as the padding, it is a different type of foam that is firmer. I ended up getting the extra suspension as I am 240+lbs and 6'5". It does raise you up about 2".  I commute 100 miles a day and don't think about the seat any more. It provide support support where the stock doesn't and to flat foot, you have to slide up.  The heat is still good if not better. Enjoy your new seat and I do appreciate the back rest because of my height. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tamiller

Post by tamiller »

Thank you for the detailed advice and pictures.  I didn't realize the backrest was removable so you have the option of riding with or without it.  I've decided to order it with the backrest and if I don't like it I'll remove it and ride without it. 

Thanks for the other replies as well,  Tom
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

I have had Russell seats with and without the backrest. Yes, they are removable and they flip forward to help mounting. But still a PITA every time you get on or off. My main dislike of them is that on long rides they tend to make my back sore from rubbing. Not a cheap experiment!

WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

I’ll give one more data point. I had the Bakup backrest on my ‘08 RT and really liked it. Therefore, when I had my Russle built for my ‘15 RT I ordered the backrest again. I’ve tried it several times and do not use it at all anymore. If I had it to do over, I would not have my passenger seat modified (even though I always ride solo) to accommodate the backrest. It falls forward annoyingly,p and although it is adjustable, I have never been able to adjust it in a way that makes my ride better with it than it would be without it. My 2 cents.
Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Hi, don't have a back rest and can't say I had a problem without it. However if I do have a sore back and need to keep it straight I use a back protector that I use for skiing. Helps keep the back straight and keeps my stomach in making me look slimmer (every little bit helps when you loose the six pack ). Also means I only use it when I need it.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Think this is a more US centric add on. Think the backrest is fugully, but each to their own. Have never needed one :)
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Ganesh,  I know what you're saying, but think of it this way:  What would you rather have, a six-pack or a beer barrel???
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

Hi Jack, my six pack has always been well disguised by the beer barrel, although never having drunk beer I have to put it down to too many of mum's curries :)
thanks and regards, Ganesh
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Ganesh,  another non-beer drinker!!  I never liked the sour taste, myself.  And I hate cheese, so  I've avoided the two main components of the  U.S.bachelor diet: beer and pizza.  Otherwise, I'd be 30 lbs. heavier.