Liber-t (SANEF) Télépéage Scheme

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Liber-t (SANEF) Télépéage Scheme

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote: Just an endorsement to SilverFox's comments on success with the Liber-t tag gizmo. My wife and I, on separate bikes, and with a tag gizmo each, used several toll Autoroutes en route from France to Switzerland on a recent tour. Likewise, we kept the tag gizmo in our hi-viz jacket pockets, and the toll barrier sensors picked them up everyone time. 100% success! Now that we've used the Liber-t tags on two separate journies through France this year, they will only cost us €6 maintenance fee for the year! I can thoroughly recommend them. Anything to avoid the faff of you or your pillion having to scrabble about with cash or cards at the toll plazas. Gotta be good! :)

I thought about one of these, but on my last trip a couple of weeks ago, the tolls were no hassle at all, had a small tank bag where my card  was and where I chucked the ticket in and all worked extremely well.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Casbar wrote:
I thought about one of these, but on my last trip a couple of weeks ago, the tolls were no hassle at all, had a small tank bag where my card  was and where I chucked the ticket in and all worked extremely well.

Yes, granted, but the main advantages and/or points to consider here is that your hands remain on the handlebars all the way through the toll plaza and if you slow ride through, you can keep rolling, and you do not have to queue up with every other tom, dick or frog in the well used ticket collection/cash/card lanes! ;)
Yes, it's a personal preference thing like many bike related matters, but this Liber-t tag just completely does away with any faff, stress, worry, dropping cash/card (heaven forbid!),etc, etc...
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Yes agree, had one for the car 20 years ago. Luckily I normally only go to France out of school holidays, so have never found the tolls busy. But if I was doing a lot of Europe touring I would probably get one
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I've received my tag and it's now in the car ready for a trip to Portugal. Assuming everything goes well going down and back through France, I'm hoping to give it a work-out on the bike in August - I would expect the peages to be busy for both trips, so it would be good to avoid the queues, and the faff ! 8)
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Went down them in late May having kept off them for a couple of years.  No queues anywhere on no booths with anybody in them.  just slots for you card.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

gogs01 wrote: I've received my tag and it's now in the car ready for a trip to Portugal. Assuming everything goes well going down and back through France, I'm hoping to give it a work-out on the bike in August - I would expect the peages to be busy for both trips, so it would be good to avoid the queues, and the faff ! 8)
e

Ah, that sounds like a repeat of what I did earlier this year, car proof test then bike afterwards!  :)  Good luck and have safe trips in both 4 and on 2 wheels!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Steve F wrote: Ah, that sounds like a repeat of what I did earlier this year, car proof test then bike afterwards!  :)  Good luck and have safe trips in both 4 and on 2 wheels!

Thanks.  I've used the peage sections many times in the car and on a bike. I know it's pretty straightforward in the car, with a passenger and a credit card, but I have experienced substantial delays with long queues at times.  On the bike, there are a few extra elements to create stress - removing gloves, digging out credit card, worrying about dropping the credit card (or bike !),all with a line of cars behind.
The telepeage tag should negate all the concerns while on the bike and avoid having to queue with either bike or car if it does happen to be busy.  Fingers crossed for the car proof test !  😄
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, my experience with my car through the telepeage tag was a breeze, just observe the 30 kmh speed limit as you approach the barrier, and you'll get the audible peep on the transponder on your screen, quickly followed by the green light and the barrier then going up! Again, on the bikes, my wife and I had success. I only encountered one barrier delay, of which my wife politely informed me that I wasn't directly in line with the overhead, square shaped scanner. Sure enough, just inch the bike forward and....hey presto! :)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Well, the trial run in the car was an unqualified success.
No queuing, no stopping, no opening windows, just slow down then accelerate away once the barrier goes up and the green light comes on - very satisfying.
If it works the same on the bike I'll be super impressed !
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

I feel very smug with my humbertag on the Humber bridge crossing. Just drive by all the queueing vehicles in the toll lane. What is even more smug is riding my RT on the tag lane knowing my bike is completely free. ;)
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
Duggie

Post by Duggie »

I'm currently in La Rochelle, and this is the first trip I've used the tag, no hiccups at all.
Duggie
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Good news Duggie and ride safe, and keep cool in that heatwave if you're heading further South! :)
Ganesh
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ganesh »

I used one for a trip through France into Italy. I had it [size=2px]in the map pocket[/size] of the tank bag and it seemed to work well. Except on one section when it decided that I suddenly became a car, I was recommended to use the oversize lane for trucks and vans so not required to take it our. Logic would suggest that the evidence of going through successive sections on the same day, and for the entire out and back journey over 4 days, it would be put difficult to suddenly morph into a car and back again for one section. However after a protracted sequence of emails with the incompetent and unhelpful French the UK team decided to reimburse me the difference. After that experience I sent it back and got the refund on the deposit. Will stick to paying at the booth and with the current exchange rate can't see me taking too many trips to France.
thanks and regards, Ganesh
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Ganesh wrote: I used one for a trip through France into Italy. I had it [size=2px]in the map pocket[/size] of the tank bag and it seemed to work well. Except on one section when it decided that I suddenly became a car, I was recommended to use the oversize lane for trucks and vans so not required to take it our. Logic would suggest that the evidence of going through successive sections on the same day, and for the entire out and back journey over 4 days, it would be put difficult to suddenly morph into a car and back again for one section. However after a protracted sequence of emails with the incompetent and unhelpful French the UK team decided to reimburse me the difference. After that experience I sent it back and got the refund on the deposit. Will stick to paying at the booth and with the current exchange rate can't see me taking too many trips to France.
I used mine, carried in my jacket pocket, on a trip to Pezenas and back. It worked every time and my wife and I laughed every time the barrier went up - usually without us coming to a full stop.
The exchange rate certainly doesn't encourage foreign trips at the moment, but I'm still making plans for next year ..... and the Liber-T tag might come into use again. ;D
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

It’s good to read that some other forum members have also got on well with the Liber-t tag through France. I see now that Spain and Portugal are coming on-line with their VIA-T tag with a similar fee structure. While I’m not a massive fan of these Autoroutes, when I do want to make swift progress, the use of such a tag does make life a whole lot less stressful when riding through the Télépéages.