PR4GT replaced in Jan 2018

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

PR4GT replaced in Jan 2018

Post by Casbar »

Stolen from another forum post, but the PR4GT is being replaced by the Michelin Road 5 in January. With approx 2k left on my tyres, might just be an early adopter :)

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/mich ... -2018.html
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: PR4GT replaced in Jan 2018

Post by Our Gee »

I heard about this new tyre some time ago when my dealer told me he was going on the official "launch" down at Clermont Ferrand. Looks interesting.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I had PR3s on previous (air cooled) RTs and loved them. Not that I found them significantly better or worse than other tyres I've used, but they
a) never gave any trouble, wet or dry
b) lasted significantly longer than any other tyre I've used
c) had tread across the centre of the tyre which allowed wear to be visually monitored.
I asked my local Motorrad dealer to fit PR3s to my current (watercooled) RT and was told that they were not a recommended fitment (although Michelin are happy to recommend them). They suggested PR4s, to which I reluctantly agreed - yes, they are more expensive. Only a few thousand miles on them to date and no complaints so, if they last as least as well as the PR3s, I won't be too unhappy.
The Road 5s will no doubt be "better" in the wet, warm up "faster" and last "longer" than the PR4s, but they don't have any tread in the centre of the tyre to allow wear to be easily monitored, so I'm not likely to be rushing to embrace this "progress".
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I will try them if they are available and other reviews are good. I don't consider a tyre lasting longer as a plus, i want my tyres to perform, long lasting normally means harder compound. As for being able to monitor tyre wear, can't see an issue from the pics, just measure the depth of the tread. But each to their own.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BMW Motorrad are now only recommending Metzeler Z8 & Michelin PR 4GT for the LC,
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/inde ... _main.html,
they've dropped the Continental RA 2GT.
Matt68

Post by Matt68 »

I have just had an awful ride home as the front PR4 on my 2012 RT has worn unevenly and is "cupping" on the right hand side of the tyre. I had the same problem a few years ago using PR3s on an earlier RT12.The PR4s were on the bike when I bought it cos I vowed that I would not buy Michelin's again, my trye chap tells me he sees this a lot with the Michelin's, so I find it interesting that so many other riders rate them so highly.I will be staying with Metzler's Z8s then trying Roasted 01s when/if they come down in price a bit.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Looks and sounds promising, as long as MICHELIN pitch the price right. I’ve been very happy with my PR4s on my RT LC. Fantastic grip in both wet and dry. That’s more than I can say for the Bridgestone tyres that came with our new Yam FJR Blood bikes. Bl**dy treacherous in the wet!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Matt68 wrote: I have just had an awful ride home as the front PR4 on my 2012 RT has worn unevenly and is "cupping" on the right hand side of the tyre. I had the same problem a few years ago using PR3s on an earlier RT12.The PR4s were on the bike when I bought it cos I vowed that I would not buy Michelin's again, my trye chap tells me he sees this a lot with the Michelin's, so I find it interesting that so many other riders rate them so highly.I will be staying with Metzler's Z8s then trying Roasted 01s when/if they come down in price a bit.

My first PR4GT cupped, but after reading a post and talking to the Michelin rep, he advised running the front at 38 psi instead of 36 and upto now that has worked very well, I have about 2k left on the front and no cupping at all.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote: Looks and sounds promising, as long as MICHELIN pitch the price right. I’ve been very happy with my PR4s on my RT LC. Fantastic grip in both wet and dry. That’s more than I can say for the Bridgestone tyres that came with our new Yam FJR Blood bikes. Bl**dy treacherous in the wet!

Yep, we found the same and changed to PR4 on our Yam blood bike. But we were told the other night that the Michelins are not type approved for the blood bikes, only the Bridgestones are the approved tyres, as that is what was on when the bike passed its approval. But as we don't run on blues, we will continue to use Michelins.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Casbar wrote:
Yep, we found the same and changed to PR4 on our Yam blood bike. But we were told the other night that the Michelins are not type approved for the blood bikes, only the Bridgestones are the approved tyres, as that is what was on when the bike passed its approval. But as we don't run on blues, we will continue to use Michelins.
Ah, so they are c*ap tyres in comparison on the FJR then! Our Freewheelers do run on blues, but needless to say, it’s the exception. I’ll have to talk to our BMO and see what he has to say, bearing in mind he owns an FJR for when he tours. Thanks for the feedback Casbar.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote: Ah, so they are c*ap tyres in comparison on the FJR then! Our Freewheelers do run on blues, but needless to say, it’s the exception. I’ll have to talk to our BMO and see what he has to say, bearing in mind he owns an FJR for when he tours. Thanks for the feedback Casbar.

Its not running on blues, but running on blues within section 19, which no blood bike groups have at the moment. But if your guys went to the latest NABB meeting last week, they were all told which were the approved tyres to maintain the approval. So I would expect your transport manager to know what he can and can't have fitted. We decided to go with PR4GT, which we now have on our RTP and the FJR.
Steve F
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Okay. I’ve asked the question of tyres in general to our group, so as and when I hear anything, I’ll update you.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Michelin needed to do something, some will know I am a life long PR2/3/4/4GT fan only ever changing OEM tyres for Pilot Roads.  Based on recent magazine reviews I decided to try Metzler RoadTec01s and quite simply they are better giving higher mileage (K1300s comparison) and better feel into the corners (K1300s/R1200RT).  Tyres are a personal thing and I hope the Road 5 is better then the RoadTec01 as that means I can enjoy riding even more!  Peter
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I changed the Continentals for PR4 and was very pleased with them even though the Continentals never gave me any problems, I just wasn't happy with them.
Last time in response to an article by RTMan10, I switched to the new Mezteler 01s. These have been fantastic, plenty of grip both wet and dry and resistance to "squaring" off. I regularly try and "wear" the edges but even so, a bit of "squaring! is inevitable. Mileage wise they are not wearing quite so fast. Having said that I'll probably change them before Germany next year.
Don't know if I will try the PR5s when they come out as I've been so happy with the 01s/
:)
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

My friend own's a tyre company 'AC Tyres Oldham' so I asked him to look into getting me a pair of Road 5's.

He actually rang Michelin to be told the Road 5 is being launched in late January but the GT won't be available until early March 2018  :(

[size=78%]  [/size]