How to adjust clutch switches-Cruise Control

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Mac77

How to adjust clutch switches-Cruise Control

Post by Mac77 »

hi all, my cruise control will only work if I hold my clutch lever down towards the floor. As soon as I release, it disengages. Question is, is it easy to get to the micro switches to re-align them, as the Haynes manual isn't very helpful?
Mac77

Re: How to adjust clutch switches-Cruise Control

Post by Mac77 »

Sorted it.

For info, you should have 2 clicks when pulling in the clutch. I was only getting 1. Access is from below and the 2 micro switches are stacked on top of each other. 1 screw holds both, ease it off, pull them both forward and re-tighten. 2 clicks now and cruise control engages every time 👍
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

What year / model are we talking about ?. The parts fiche for both the Hexhead and the Twin Cam list a "Dual Microswitch" (bikes with cruise control) and the accompanying sketch shows an individual switch which I presumed will have a "Dual" function. My own Twin Cam does not "appear" have two stacked switches but a single one. I do hear two "clicks" when operating the clutch lever although the 2nd click is quite faint. Incidently I understand that one of the switch functions will be to cancel the cruise control but does anyone know what the second function is for ?. And I presume that the description of a "Microphone" switch as described in the parts fiche is a typo !!.
Last edited by Our Gee on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Done a bit of digging and apparently the "Dual Function" switch type (for bikes with Cruise Control) allows Engine starting when "in gear" and cancels the Cruise Control, both actions initiated when the clutch lever is pulled. I do now remember that the last time I had trouble with the left handlebar Multi Switch which was replaced, the dealer also changed the Micro Switch as a precaution. (belt and braces solution) to a inoperative Cruise Control.
Mac77

Post by Mac77 »

Apologies OurGee, been away with work. Mine is a 2007.