Missing Screw

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Missing Screw

Post by Steve F »

Yes, either a drop-off from my dealer when they recently serviced the bike (2015 RT LC), or another dubious quality issue!! I'm referring to the small screws that hold the grey forward lower fairings on, the lowest forward screw (left hand side) adjacent to the oil filter to be precise. They screw into a captive nut plate which in turn is mounted to a rather spindly bracket. Well, this particular screw was either never put back after service or was loose and migrated out of the captive nut and was gone! Result - a lower fairing that flaps about like the proverbial! A quick fix was to temporarily rob one of the retaining screws for the speaker grilles and stop the effing fairing flapping about when riding. Success, so now it's off to bang the dealer's desk and highlight the issue!! :shirty:
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Missing Screw

Post by T6pilot »

That panel is held on by different size screws, if you will notice the shoulder on one of the screws is longer, if you put the wrong screw in the lower panel it won't tighten properly and can fall out
My travel tip is when removing panel screws tape them next to the correct hole with some masking tape, reduces frustration factor by %100
Jim
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

T6pilot wrote: That panel is held on by different size screws, if you will notice the shoulder on one of the screws is longer, if you put the wrong screw in the lower panel it won't tighten properly and can fall out
My travel tip is when removing panel screws tape them next to the correct hole with some masking tape, reduces frustration factor by %100

I use a magnetic bowl to hold the screws, but it doesn't necessarily tell you where they belong.  I like your idea better.
BMW MOA #210438
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

T6pilot wrote: That panel is held on by different size screws, if you will notice the shoulder on one of the screws is longer, if you put the wrong screw in the lower panel it won't tighten properly and can fall out
Yes, granted - it may not be identical to the missing screw but it's fine as a temporary get-you-home method to prevent the fairing flapping about. Re the travel tip - not really going to help when the screw's already fallen out on the road! :)
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Steve,
I carry a few of the most common screws in a plastic bag, taped under the pillon seat, just in case!!
I do understand your frustration though
Jim
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Been removing the panels etc. in preparation for an ACF-50 Treatment. The radio/glovebox cover is held in place with 2 off M5x12 Fillister head screws. On removal, found both screws were M5x16, too long for what is a blind hole. Later found an M5x12 screw in the wrong place, as one of the many (M5x16) screws retaining the main RHS fairing panel. Have removed the panels & other items on many occasions, never lost or mixed up the screws. The bike was serviced at the end of September 2017 by a BMW Dealer. Once again, their attention to detail leaves something to be desired. Have order 2 replacement M5x12 screws, at a cost of £2.62 inc. P&P.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=46_0905