Proper technique for passenger mount/dismount?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
panaray

Proper technique for passenger mount/dismount?

Post by panaray »

So, after 30+ years of riding mostly solo, the RT was purchased partly to enable tandem riding. So far so good, but my wife (5’3”) is having a problem mounting and dismounting as a passenger. She uses the “kick” technique and attempts to kick over the rear case (large), which is not only difficult but causes to scratch the case.

Anyone see a video which could help her learn how to mount and dismount?

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Proper technique for passenger mount/dismount?

Post by Casbar »

My wife is 5ft 1, and has no issues mounting the bike when the top cases on. She just puts her hand on my shoulder and steps on the rear rest and steps through.Guess it depends on how athletic your partner is.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Mine uses the "kick" technique too, she kicks the top box and both panniers!  Put some clear film on and let her kick away to her hearts content  :)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I let the Mrs get on first and slide back as shes only small, that way the only thing i kick is her
Rhun

Post by Rhun »

My Mrs is only 5 foot and she just stands on the left hand passenger peg and steps over

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Taz

Post by Taz »

My wife has a hip problem so we explored several alternatives. One that partly  worked was for me to be on the left side of the bike on it’s side stand, while she got on from the right side. However, ultimately we settled on the kick method. We look for a high kerb that she can stand on before stepping onto the left rear footrest.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Thanks Michaelc good suggestion saves scuff marks cheers
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

panaray wrote: So, after 30+ years of riding mostly solo, the RT was purchased partly to enable tandem riding. So far so good, but my wife (5’3”) is having a problem mounting and dismounting as a passenger. She uses the “kick” technique and attempts to kick over the rear case (large),which is not only difficult but causes to scratch the case.
My wife is 5'2" and has never been particularly limber. She has been getting on the back of the bike for 30+ years and it was just a couple of years ago that I discovered that she threw her leg over the top box - I had always assumed that she would simply step over the seat (I should know better than to assume .....). Over the years I was aware that she occasionally caught the pannier with a boot, but then so do I. On our last trip she managed to catch the lid of the nice shiny new top box, and the scratches won't polish out .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: My wife is 5'2" and has never been particularly limber. She has been getting on the back of the bike for 30+ years and it was just a couple of years ago that I discovered that she threw her leg over the top box - I had always assumed that she would simply step over the seat (I should know better than to assume .....). Over the years I was aware that she occasionally caught the pannier with a boot, but then so do I. On our last trip she managed to catch the lid of the nice shiny new top box, and the scratches won't polish out .....

Give her the bill and get a new wife  8)
panaray

Post by panaray »

Yup, I’ve been attempting to ask my wife to step through instead of kicking over the top case.
I ask her to put her hands on my shoulders while I sit on the bike with the side stand down and the bike leaning on it’s left side.
Perhaps I should have the bike upright?
I guess we will have plenty of time to practice until it warms up May!
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

panaray wrote: Yup, I’ve been attempting to ask my wife to step through instead of kicking over the top case.
I ask her to put her hands on my shoulders while I sit on the bike with the side stand down and the bike leaning on it’s left side.
Perhaps I should have the bike upright?
I guess we will have plenty of time to practice until it warms up May!
panaray,
Likewise, her left foot on left foot peg, her hands on my shoulders whilst I’m stood astride the bike (but without side stand down) and she then steps through and avoids walloping top box and/or panniers! For safety, I’ll keep the front brake applied until she’s settled! So far, so good. :)