Airhawk / Tourtec inflatable seat cushion advice needed.

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
chappers2a
Bike Model and Year: 2016 RT LE
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Airhawk / Tourtec inflatable seat cushion advice needed.

Post by chappers2a »

Hello Chaps, I have a short France and Germany tour next summer consisting of about 1200 miles over 5 days. I am concerned that my seat may start to be rather uncomfortable during this trip so am considering purchasing an Airhawk inflatable seat cushion or perhaps Tourtec which seem to be less expensive. Do any of you good fellows have any experience of either of these or know of any alternative makes or indeed any tips to prevent the dreaded 'numb bum' syndrome? Thanks in anticipation of your replies.
chappers2a
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Re: Airhawk / Tourtec inflatable seat cushion advice needed.

Post by BoB21 »

I use padded push bike shorts for long trips . works for me.
chappers2a
Bike Model and Year: 2016 RT LE
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

That could be worth a try, certainly one of the cheaper options!
chappers2a
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I tried padded cycle shorts once,  but couldn't get over that they felt like I'd shat myself
Maybe I would've got used to them if I'd persisted (or maybe I actually had shat mysen)
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Put heated seat on as well for full effect. Joking aside did feel like that at first but have got over it and find really comfortable now. Might try motoskiveezz
Last edited by BoB21 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

BoB21 wrote: Might try motoskiveezz

Don't bother, they're no better than cycling shorts at a quarter of the price. If you watch a few YouTube reviews on the skiveezz and read the comments underneath you'll find a link to some cycling shorts with a larger pad insert which look very good! Only about £20 too👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Bluecomet
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Bluecomet »

I have the airhawk and seldom ride without it.  Some people love them, some hate them.  To me, the key is having the correct amount of air in one.  A bit Too much and you roll around on the seat, too little and you contact the seat and have pressure points.  The key is to have just enough to pull your bottom a few mm off of the seat.  For my scrawny 160 lb that's almost exactly 1/2 full.  I have one side completely flat with the other almost full. Anyway, it seems to be a personal taste thing.  Most complaints I've heard is that it makes you higher and "changes the feel of everything" or it causes a "squishy ride".  It does make you sit a little bit higher but I don't notice any "squish" or rolling around on the seat.  I do, however, sometimes take it off in the mountains as I feel more planted and a tad lower on the bare seat. I've just moved from a GS to an RT.  My first long ride on the GS (500 miles in one day) had me moving all over the place to find new spots to sit on. I finally got somewhat used to it but didn't do much long distance stuff.  Then came prostate cancer and radiation leaving me with a really tender bottom.  This is when borrowed an Airhawk to try and now 5 years later still ride with it.  My longest ride to date was 1100 miles in 24 hours.  No sore butt the next day.  I sometimes hit a comfort "wall" after about 2 hours in the saddle but normally after a little break I'm good to go for 8 hours or more. 
    My 2013 RT stock seat is slightly higher in the middle than the sides and my bottom is very uncomfortable after a very short time.  Air hawk to the rescue again.  I'm still working out the bugs on how much air I need for this new to me seat but, for me, makes the difference between being able to have a pleasant afternoon on the bike or ride in pain.
    Oh, an added benefit is that air moves in and through the Air hawk keeping my bottom dry in hot humid weather.  I ride in the southeastern United States where 100 degrees f and 70 % humidity are not uncommon in the summer.  No monkey butt, rashes or even wet britches after a long ride.  Hope this helps!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Not sure which RT you have, but I have an LC. I can do 500 mile days with no discomfort with the standard seat. I do ride a lot all year around, so maybe my butt is used to the seat now. I put an air hawk on the pillion for my wife and she has never complained. The key is to take regular breaks, I normally stop every two hours for a coffee and the inevitable pee break  8)

So I would try a couple of longer rides before your trip and see how you get on, you maybe trying to fix something that isn't broke. I did take the wifes air hawk along on my first long trip, just in case, but never needed it.
rglassma

Post by rglassma »

I have An 05 RT and use an Air Hawk. I find it to be very helpful for me and I do not have any discomfort riding with the hawk. The trick really is as you say to have it inflated about halfway and use it so that your rear is just slightly above the back of the seat.

I have come to the point when I just leave it on all the time.  My seat is a bmw lower seat so it is hard.  Yes the hawk does raise me a little higher so I'm on the balls of my feet but it's a small price to pay for comfort.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

kiki

Post by kiki »

I use an AirHawk R on my Sargent seat (and also with the stock seat). I have done several 18 hour days with mine (Saddle Sore 1000's). Over time all seats will cause my rear to ache a bit. I have experimented with the AirHawk. I start a 4 hour stretch (length between fill-ups) with the pad slightly over inflated, then slowly during the ride reach down each hour and let a bit of air out for a different level of support until after 4 hours i am to the proper level of inflation. THis method works for me to remain comfy for the day. A riding acquaintance (and forum member here) has compared the airhawk and Sargent combo to his new Laam custom seat. He says that there simply is no comparison.
I must mention that the pad nullifies the heated seat, since it acts as an insulated barrier. So in the winter I take the pad off.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

Wish I didn't have to use anything on top of the seat. Something I have to constantly remember to
remove , any time I stop and walk away from the bike. For the simple reason as to use it again the
next ride! Up to the end of last season, I used a Airhawk together with a Alaskan sheepskin
https://alaskaleather.com/collections/s ... n-buttpads
With that combination, you can do your 1200 miles in a day with no issues :kacsint2:!!
My newly upholstered seat has a layer of gel pad under, so am hopping to do well on long rides.
Will take with me the Airhawk and Alaskan butt pad, just in case!