4 bikes - 1 week - why I chose an RT

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
guest5111

4 bikes - 1 week - why I chose an RT

Post by guest5111 »

I'm coming back to biking after a 37 year break, and this video explains how I decided on the RT. It's the last of a series of 5 films examining Suzuki's Vstrom 650/1000XT, and the 1200GS and RT. I've got a lot to learn and re-learn, and am new to the RT Forum so be gentle ...
https://youtu.be/okO9zktn1lA
Taz

Re: 4 bikes - 1 week - why I chose an RT

Post by Taz »

Thanks for sharing - very interesting.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Think your assessment is really good. Couple of points, the radio is not just to impress your friends, it links to the BT headset and will also pass nav instructions to the helmet as well as music if that is your thing. Second point, and please don't take this the wrong way, but your road positioning on the videos is not that great, if you really value safety as stated before I would get some rider advanced training, do a free bike safe course or one of the advanced qualifications, you will get a lot more enjoyment out of your riding and it will improve your chances of staying safe.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, thanks for sharing the vid. It's always interesting to hear other riders views/opinions on the RT and some other machines!  Look out for the RH indicator left on in the car park at the NT site!! :) ;) Only kidding! Thanks again Back2TheBike. :)
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Casbar wrote: Think your assessment is really good. Couple of points, the radio is not just to impress your friends, it links to the BT headset and will also pass nav instructions to the helmet as well as music if that is your thing. Second point, and please don't take this the wrong way, but your road positioning on the videos is not that great, if you really value safety as stated before I would get some rider advanced training, do a free bike safe course or one of the advanced qualifications, you will get a lot more enjoyment out of your riding and it will improve your chances of staying safe.

No offence taken, thanks for the comment  [/size] [size=78%]. Still working on positioning and a million other things and more training is definitely planned. I'm off to 'Motorcycle Live' next week to explore the options, BikeSafe v IAM or both ... Any thoughts? [size=2px]But the radio does impress your friends, right ? [/size] 8)
Last edited by guest5111 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Steve F wrote: Yes, thanks for sharing the vid. It's always interesting to hear other riders views/opinions on the RT and some other machines!  Look out for the RH indicator left on in the car park at the NT site!! :) ;) Only kidding! Thanks again Back2TheBike. :)

Something I still have to work on, those indicators  :) ) . Don't know why you can't select a 'bleep' or clicking noise like any car, now that would be useful.
Last edited by guest5111 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Radio isn't just to impress friends you also get to spend hours on forums trying to get everything paired up and running. Don't get me started on price lol
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Back2TheBike wrote:
No offence taken, thanks for the comment  [/size] [size=78%]. Still working on positioning and a million other things and more training is definitely planned. I'm off to 'Motorcycle Live' next week to explore the options, BikeSafe v IAM or both ... Any thoughts? But the radio does impress your friends, right ? [/size] 8)

I don't have any friends  8)  I had an email from IAM this morning, they are doing a deal on the IAM course at Motorcycle Live. Bikesafe is free and a good day, it is really to encourage people to take advanced courses, a good start. I did ROSPA and IAM, both the tests are very similar, go with whichever group is nearer to you. I am doing my ROSPA and IAM test again in May, there is a weeks advanced riding course with the tests at the end, I could just do my ROSPA test locally, but this course is brilliant and more like a biking holiday. Its a bit expensive, but well worth it, check out the 3 countries advanced course run by these guys - http://www.1stclassrider.co.uk
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks Casbar, advice noted.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Man that's expensive!!
True... I'm a tight Yorkshire man,  but even so
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Maz12 wrote: Man that's expensive!!
True... I'm a tight Yorkshire man,  but even so

Yes it is, but you get 5 days instruction from Police instructors, plus Dinner B&B, plus membership of IAM and ROSPA and test fees, and covering some great riding roads, so its more of a biking holiday. For me, its a lot better than doing loads of weekend rides etc as its consolidated. I could just do the ROSPA test again, but it was such a great course, i've decided to do it again.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

It does look superb,  just can't justify that money for 5 days
Having said that I did a 2 day course with 'warpspeed' who is also a class 1 police rider (retired) but that cost £360
varger

Post by varger »

Nice, thanks for the interesting video

Cancer best match

Last edited by varger on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.