Newbie from S Wales

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
aphill24

Newbie from S Wales

Post by aphill24 »

Hi all, Pleased to say I have just bought my first ever BMW 1200 RT LE 2015 model. Very pleased with it so far. I had a nice motorway ride picking it up from Stoke and riding back to South Wales which was 179 miles. Plenty of torque and quite easy to ride. I am only 5'9'' so need to be careful that I don't drop it at slow speed manoeuvres and parking it on hills just got to take my time for a few weeks I guess.
One thing I found strange getting used to was looking through the screen when it was raised on the motorway but I guess that's the price to pay for the protection it offers.
It was a choice between a Kawasaki z1000 sx which would have been easier getting it in and out of the garage every morning but I went for the comfort of two up riding which I intend to do a lot of with my OH. Just went for a small ride with my son on the back and although he's bigger than me I could hardly tell he was on the back so my wife will be anonymous.
Looking forward to reading many more posts and possibly meeting up with fellow members in future. When I was younger I passed my ROSPA so going to look at doing this or the IAM course soon to gain the confidence back asap.

I also intend to carry out the oil and filter services etc myself

Tony
Attachments
RT.PNG
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Newbie from S Wales

Post by leonjennings »

Welcome!

2012 SE
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

aphill24 wrote:Looking forward to possibly meeting up with fellow members in future.
Welcome Tony, if it's of any interest, there is an annual meet planned for July 2018 at Oadby near Leicester, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=1

Five of us had a 3 day trip to Wales in June 2017. The furthest South we got was into the Black Mountains, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=5
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aphill24

Post by aphill24 »

Thanks Both. The Black mountains are a 40 min ride and a lovely area for motorcycling. I live on the coast near Porthcawl.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Welcome and enjoy
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Welcome, can't say I have ever ridden looking through the screen, with the standard screen I used to set it so there was less buffeting but I could always see over it. I now have an aftermarket screen - Werks Quiet Ride, which is miles better than the standard screen and only needs setting once, which is normally about a third up
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

aphill24 wrote:
One thing I found strange getting used to was looking through the screen when it was raised on the motorway but I guess that's the price to pay for the protection it offers.

You SHOULDN'T be looking through the windscreen. you should be looking over the top of it.

By the way, the OEM screens on these bikes are really rubbish. I highly recommend changing for a 24" Werks screen or 24" Aeroflow screen. The amount of aero protection they afford is hugely better.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your new bike.

The Kawasaki would have totally different to the BMW, however, I think you've chosen wisely and for the long term.

Dave