Sport seat?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
carpedatum

Sport seat?

Post by carpedatum »

I have a 2016 R1200RT (wet head) and am still trying to figure out the seat.  I enjoyed the factory standard-height seat on my previous K1600GT, because it had a rounded shape and kept me up kind of high.  It inspired confidence in the twisties, and my knees didn't feel too crunched.  Admittedly I have a short inseam and it did often mean holding the bike up with my toes, or shifting to one side, at stops.

When test-riding the R1200RT, I tried the standard seat, but found it to be too squared-off.  It created uncomfortable pressure on my fat thighs.  So I bought the bike with the low seat, which solved that problem but leaves me with a bit of a handling deficit and cramped knees.

I have swapped in a Sargent seat, which is a tad better but it's definitely a touring seat.  My goal is to have a saddle on hand that better supports my daily commute and sport-oriented weekend romps in the the nearby Santa Cruz mountains.  I see lots of great tips here on the forum about great touring seats, but haven't spotted anything that leans in the other direction.

Anyone have any thoughts on a sport-oriented option?
limesgmt

Re: Sport seat?

Post by limesgmt »

Have you thought about re-shaping the original seat? i.e. shaving the sides and having it re-covered.
Dave
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Sport seat?

Post by temesvar »

As Dave suggested, re-shaping the seat and having upholstered helps.
My reason was to obtain a lower riding position, having shorter inseam.
I chose the factory extra low one piece bench seat, cut about one inch
from side , carved out the foam to fit a gel pad, had it re-upholstered
and finally got the seat I am happy with. :kacsint2: