Seat compatibility/modification question

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jsuttin

Seat compatibility/modification question

Post by jsuttin »

I have a '05 that I like very much. I've been shopping for a low rider seat. The dealership demonstrated one on the bike and I liked the height drop of an inch or so. I found 1 on ebay that was advertised as '05 - '09. When it arrived, I discovered it was a single bench seat rather than just the rider seat component of my current 2-piece configuration which is not a problem for me. However, it also has different connectors and didn't mate with the cylindrical (small barbell) piece on the bike. Before sending it back I wanted to double check that there's no way to make it fit my bike. I also wanted to better understand seat compatibility years so I avoid getting the wrong seat in future orders. Thanks!
jsuttin

Re: Seat compatibility/modification question

Post by jsuttin »

Answering my own question here in case anybody else reads this in the future.  I discovered that the seat actually did fit my '05 as a single bench seat unit but I had to remove 2 metal brackets which were on the bike in the middle of the seat and used to help lock in the passenger seat.  The brackets were black and secured to the bike with (2) T30 bolts.  Once the brackets were removed, the seat clicked in appropriately.  The front of the seat didn't mate with the barbell type connector but rather with the area that the barbells rests in.  So once the barbell was removed, it connected to the front and then locked in at the back after the brackets were removed. 
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Seat compatibility/modification question

Post by temesvar »

I just read your post. I have been in the same situation at first, but figured out what can be done .
However I didn't like the cover, and thought there is more improvement that can be done on the seat.
Cut about one inch from the sides of the seat, cut out in the foam to fit a gel pad, re-upholstered it and
am pretty sure I got what I needed, and it looks good. Besides this, I changed the suspension to low,
reduced the height by another almost an inch. So finally, I can almost flat foot both feet with my 28"
inseam.
PS: inserted a pic. just to see if it works! :kacsint2:
Attachments
IMG_0833.JPG