Learning the RT #5 - Counter-Steering & Overtaking Practice

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
guest5111

Learning the RT #5 - Counter-Steering & Overtaking Practice

Post by guest5111 »

Out for a winter morning ride on the RT to practice the counter-intuitive art of counter-steering, and some simple overtakes. Comments welcome.https://youtu.be/55zpcPXe67s
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Learning the RT #5 - Counter-Steering & Overtaking Practice

Post by Casbar »

Looks to me, like you are trying to learn from reading a book. You need to be riding with someone who can comment on your riding, preferably an advanced rider, or at least someone who can comment on things like road positioning. They can then give you pointers and then you can practice.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Are you giving the road and ride your full concentration whilst giving and thinking about what to say for the narration on the video?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Nobody can give you hints from a video, but I would agree with Simbo maybe stop the commentary,  in that, your talking and saying some of the correct things, but you are not executing them correctly. Without someone actually giving you advice by following and debriefing, you will find it difficult to improve. You can't learn by posting videos as people will find it difficult and umcomfortable critiqueing. I assume the camera is on your helmet, if it is, it doesn't look like you are moving your head at all :)  we are trying to help, but without trying to put you off, you need some training.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Casbar wrote: Looks to me, like you are trying to learn from reading a book. You need to be riding with someone who can comment on your riding, preferably an advanced rider, or at least someone who can comment on things like road positioning. They can then give you pointers and then you can practice.
Fair comment, but many sources, not just books! I'm signed up to IAM, but weather and diary haven't permitted an observed ride. This is most definitely part of the plan, although the snow may delay things. However, my plan is that I need a basic appreciation of the handling and feel for the RT, something I can only do by lots of short rides, each with an objective. That way I'll get more out of the 'technical' training as and when it happens. It's one thing wanting to do something right, but another when you simply don't have enough hours on the RT (as with me after over 30 years) that you can't do it e.g. slow handling, steering, assimilating all the road data etc. As always, I appreciate your interest and feedback, please keep it coming.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

simbo wrote: Are you giving the road and ride your full concentration whilst giving and thinking about what to say for the narration on the video?
Good question: Yes, I am. You have to understand I'm a trainer, I'm used to talking whilst doing, and have done it for 20 years and to over 20,000 people in a variety of complex topics to some very senior / talented people, so it's a trained response to a set of stimuli. It helps me to learn, and is more of a diary whose intention is to seek feedback, so accelerate the learning process.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

Which group have you signed up with?  You may find this the AD Hub forum http://www.advanceddrivinghub.com/forum/index.php

Also  you have a near side mirror too, I did not watch all of the video  but in the time I did I didn't notice many left checks.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

exportman wrote: Hi

Which group have you signed up with?  You may find this the AD Hub forum http://www.advanceddrivinghub.com/forum/index.php

Also  you have a near side mirror too, I did not watch all of the video  but in the time I did I didn't notice many left checks.
Northampton IAM. Yes you're right about the ns mirror. I do use it but dont tend to move my head, just eyes.  Im trying, not always succeding, to check every 8 secs. Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Back2TheBike wrote: Good question: Yes, I am. You have to understand I'm a trainer, I'm used to talking whilst doing, and have done it for 20 years and to over 20,000 people in a variety of complex topics to some very senior / talented people, so it's a trained response to a set of stimuli. It helps me to learn, and is more of a diary whose intention is to seek feedback, so accelerate the learning process.

I'm sure every rep on the phone or every drink driver has the same opinion.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

Not quite the same thing, the police riders are expected to commentate on what they see as they are doing their riding to ensure they have spotted everything. Car on offside junction adjust speed and move for maximum visibility etc
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Personally I find commentary can help focus on task at hand. One point I would like to mention is regards aborted overtake on van. I am presuming it was aborted due to oncoming vehicle coming into view. However there were two lay-bys on opposite sides of the road the nearby one had three vehicles facing your direction. If you had of moved to overtake you could have been unseen for awhile and if that vehicle decides to join road ahead of van !!!! Not saying overtake wasnt on but just be mindful that lay-bys ,beauty spots and petrol station exits are notorious hot spots for accidents.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

simbo wrote:
I'm sure every rep on the phone or every drink driver has the same opinion.
And policeman, fire engine driver, fighter pilot, taxi driver, F1 Champion, and anyone who talks to their passenger in the car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

BoB21 wrote: Personally I find commentary can help focus on task at hand. One point I would like to mention is regards aborted overtake on van. I am presuming it was aborted due to oncoming vehicle coming into view. However there were two lay-bys on opposite sides of the road the nearby one had three vehicles facing your direction. If you had of moved to overtake you could have been unseen for awhile and if that vehicle decides to join road ahead of van !!!! Not saying overtake wasnt on but just be mindful that lay-bys ,beauty spots and petrol station exits are notorious hot spots for accidents.
Thanks Bob, that's a good call. I've taken note.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I'm in northants also in the IAM, see you on Jan 7th at all seasons cafe for the chilly willy ride in aid of air ambulance?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

BoB21 wrote: Personally I find commentary can help focus on task at hand. One point I would like to mention is regards aborted overtake on van. I am presuming it was aborted due to oncoming vehicle coming into view. However there were two lay-bys on opposite sides of the road the nearby one had three vehicles facing your direction. If you had of moved to overtake you could have been unseen for awhile and if that vehicle decides to join road ahead of van !!!! Not saying overtake wasnt on but just be mindful that lay-bys ,beauty spots and petrol station exits are notorious hot spots for accidents.

Commentary does, when you are doing it correctly. You do commentary when doing IAM in a car, but no commentary when doing bike IAM or ROSPA. Commentary is good to point out hazards etc, but the commentary on the videos isn't doing that, its just waffling about things in general.