air compressors work with socket?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
foolofsand

air compressors work with socket?

Post by foolofsand »

since one cant charge the battery directly thru the power socket---does a tire inflator that will plug in work with that bus thingy? or would i have to get an inflator than has alligator clips and goes directly to battery?  thanks..newby here
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: air compressors work with socket?

Post by T6pilot »

Using alligator clips can be a great hassle
Best idea is to direct wire, with fuse, a connector or Bmw plug this will enable easy charging, compressor use or heated gear with canbus issues
Jim
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

yes and no most wont work as draw to much on start up. However Hornig do sell one called Dynaplug micro pro which works on lc models there is video showing it working on there site.
TCM

Post by TCM »

I have an AA mini compressor and that works fine using the power sockets
If it's not broken,you didn't hit it hard enough!
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i have an "airman" compressor i keep under the seat and that works fine from the power socket (2007 RT)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

foolofsand wrote: since one cant charge the battery directly thru the power socket---does a tire inflator that will plug in work with that bus thingy? or would i have to get an inflator than has alligator clips and goes directly to battery?  thanks..newby here

What bike are we talking about?
Taz

Post by Taz »

I have a BMW charger that feeds through the socket on the right side of the fairing. On my old Boxer Cup Replica (R1100S) I charged that through the socket, which was located below the seat on the left side.

So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If its a 2014 on LC, the max power draw is 10 amps from the socket. I charge my bike through the same socket, you just need a canbus compatible charger, i use an optimate 4 which is BMW compatible and works fine
foolofsand

Post by foolofsand »

thanks for replies--the socket works for things---it is just that you can't charge the battery with like a Battery Tender...I did  purchase the Optimate 4 for bmw's with the canbus..it works fine...

old beemer didn't need a special charger etc

bike is 2011 R1200RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

foolofsand wrote: thanks for replies--the socket works for things---it is just that you can't charge the battery with like a Battery Tender...I did  purchase the Optimate 4 for bmw's with the canbus..it works fine...

old beemer didn't need a special charger etc

bike is 2011 R1200RT

Its not just BMW, quite a few bikes with Canbus need a different charger if charging from a socket rather than the accessory socket, reason is the accessory socket powers down after ignition is off, so you need a charger capable of opening and keeping open that socket. Not an issue if connected direct to the battery. It was the same on one of the Harleys I owned