Back2TheBike Training #1 - Biker Down workshop, Saccadic Masking and Safety Mod

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
guest5111

Back2TheBike Training #1 - Biker Down workshop, Saccadic Masking and Safety Mod

Post by guest5111 »

Unable to get out and ride on the snow, but sat in on a Biker Down workshop hosted by our Fire and Rescue Service. Here are my reflections on the workshop, a basic intro to Saccadic Masking, together with a £2 safety mod. Also one or two thoughts on some future safety / protection upgrades for next year.

https://youtu.be/soJEXLjBguw
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: Back2TheBike Training #1 - Biker Down workshop, Saccadic Masking and Safety Mod

Post by Sullivj »

Another thought provoking video - thank you.

I thought the rear reflective tape should be red, which also made me question the red side reflectors on your panniers, which I thought should be orange?

I suppose it doesn't much matter, as long as you're seen.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Back2TheBike Training #1 - Biker Down workshop, Saccadic Masking and Safety Mod

Post by Casbar »

Side should be orange. Rear should be red if they actually reflect red. If its just tape that shows up in headlights its ok, but if the tape actually reflects white or anything else, its illegal.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

A lot of debate about this under the comments and some interesting links under the Youtube video if anyone is interested. The law isn't clear when it comes to reflective tape, and police take a common sense view on a red/yellow mix on the back of your bike. Take a look at many police bikes and you'll see just that. I'll stick with what I've done and add some red to improve the pattern.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Sullivj wrote: Another thought provoking video - thank you.

I thought the rear reflective tape should be red, which also made me question the red side reflectors on your panniers, which I thought should be orange?

I suppose it doesn't much matter, as long as you're seen.
Thanks for the feedback. As always, just trying to learn, and here trying to take on board the advice from the Biker Down workshop Module 3. The reason I went for yellow (I've decided to add some red too BTW) is that I ride during the day, never at night, in a predominantly rural environment. I felt yellow gives the best 'average' conspicuity for these conditions.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Back2TheBike wrote: A lot of debate about this under the comments and some interesting links under the Youtube video if anyone is interested. The law isn't clear when it comes to reflective tape, and police take a common sense view on a red/yellow mix on the back of your bike. Take a look at many police bikes and you'll see just that. I'll stick with what I've done and add some red to improve the pattern.

I ride for a blood bike group and we work with closely with traffic, the rules are very clear. The point is you can have whatever colour you want on the back as long as it doesn't reflect back white when a car headlight shines on it. So the 3m diamond reflective tape on the back of police and emergency vehicles  and our bikes, show up in headlights as yellow and red, but not white. A lot of reflective tape you buy online, when you shine a torch on it in a dark garage comes back white. If you have red and its reflective it needs to show red, not white. The law is very clear if you read the road traffic literature and any traffic officer can tell you the rules. Again with all this stuff like small number plates, 90% of the time, nobody will bother, but if you have an accident or someone runs up your rear end, the police and insurance companies will check your bike over and look for anything. Make your own decisions as with everything, only advice and guidance can be given if asked for, whether you bother to take it, is your business.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I enjoyed the vid, as ever good food for thought.  On the subject of cheap fixes, I've got some protective bumper strips and put them on the underside of the pannier outer.  In the right place, this will protect the pannier if the bike simply falls over.  I know it is in the right place because the scratch from when it got dropped is covered :).  About a tenner from Halfrauds.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

There's quite a lot of discussion on here and elsewhere regarding reflectors or reflective tape, as I understand it reflected light is treated the same as light, ie no white at the rear. However if the material is on clothing of the rider that is not part of the vehicle and doesn't count. I have even heard that if it is affixed to a detachable part of the bike then the case is the same as for clothing. So panniers may follow on as detachable. I've not seen any case law on this only the opinions of my Rat ( Traffic Cop) mates who are still serving, since their numbers are dwindling fast I don't suppose we will meet them except maybe on a Bikesafe day.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I can't see why people just don't comply with the law, but I guess its fashionable to sail as close as possibly to the wind. Reflective tape is fine as long as it doesn't show up as white, so it would be easier to just use the correct stuff. But hey ho, each to their own  8)  3m diamond tape is pretty expensive though, then you start to get accused of trying to look like an authority bike - lol
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

To be honest I don't think any one will notice the colour of the tape, the scaffolding bars around the front of the bike will be holding their attention. That looks truly horrendous.

I've fitted cylinder head protectors which are discreet, don't spoil the looks of the bike and actually work. :(  (Don't ask how I know).[size=78%] [/size]
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MacJ wrote: To be honest I don't think any one will notice the colour of the tape, the scaffolding bars around the front of the bike will be holding their attention. That looks truly horrendous.

I've fitted cylinder head protectors which are discreet, don't spoil the looks of the bike and actually work. :(  (Don't ask how I know).[size=78%] [/size]

8)  +1
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

MacJ wrote: To be honest I don't think any one will notice the colour of the tape, the scaffolding bars around the front of the bike will be holding their attention. That looks truly horrendous.

Remember the wise words of Thumper the rabbit https://youtu.be/Pi8f9g8-Wpc
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Interesting vid, thanks 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)