Kit Review - Optimate 6 Ampmatic Smart Battery Charger / Installation

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
guest5111

Kit Review - Optimate 6 Ampmatic Smart Battery Charger / Installation

Post by guest5111 »

In which I review the Optimate 6 Ampmatic Battery Charger. I could have bought the Optimate 4 CanBus version, but needed more capacity for heavy duty batteries and all-round use and this was only an extra £12 and meets all my needs. I ride my bike regularly so the charger is belt and braces, but a nice piece of kit anyway. It's also my first proper equipment 'install' on my RT. Still works too ...

I've struggled to find an explanatory video for the lights/testing sequencing on this unit - I don't think there is one, so you're left to guess what it's doing based on the displays from other units.  That said, I'm happy with the purchase.

https://youtu.be/phdP-JN8_fE
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Kit Review - Optimate 6 Ampmatic Smart Battery Charger / Installation

Post by B787MECH »

Nice video, you certainly go to some effort to show us your experiences! A couple of comments...I take it you can change the mode to Canbus (I can on my Optimate 4.).You can then charge directly into you accessory socket on the fairing using the lead available from Optimate that has the  DIN plug on it, doing away with the lead hanging off the battery. Both do the job though. I also find that a good battery will end up with both green lights showing so if the yellow light doesn't go out it would appear there's a problem with the battery. I don't use my bike in the winter so like to leave the Optimate connected permanently, monitoring the battery. It'll only charge it when necessary. I sometimes need it to charge another battery and do so by quickly swapping leads to the crocodile clip one and changing back to 'normal' mode I.e non Canbus. By the way the lead that you removed was the old type lead used on the earlier Optimates. Keep sending the videos[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

B787MECH wrote: Nice video, you certainly go to some effort to show us your experiences! A couple of comments...I take it you can change the mode to Canbus (I can on my Optimate 4.).You can then charge directly into you accessory socket on the fairing using the lead available from Optimate that has the  DIN plug on it, doing away with the lead hanging off the battery. Both do the job though. I also find that a good battery will end up with both green lights showing so if the yellow light doesn't go out it would appear there's a problem with the battery. I don't use my bike in the winter so like to leave the Optimate connected permanently, monitoring the battery. It'll only charge it when necessary. I sometimes need it to charge another battery and do so by quickly swapping leads to the crocodile clip one and changing back to 'normal' mode I.e non Canbus. By the way the lead that you removed was the old type lead used on the earlier Optimates. Keep sending the videos[emoji3]

Hi, there's nothing in the book to suggest the '6' is CanBus compatible. I believe that the '4' is available as a BMW-specific model which does talk to the CanBus though. I suspect you're right about the green/yellow lights. I'll monitor that battery to see how it holds up, but wonder if I've damaged it by letting it run down completely. Thanks for the encouragement with the videos. I get to make all my mistakes in public ;-)

micheld

Post by micheld »

Only the OPTIMATE 4 line offers CAN bus connection
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

If that's the case I think It's bad of them to offer this ( Taken from Optimates own website)  Optional accessories include additional fused permanent connection leads (O1); cigarette lighter plug lead (O2) to charge via the cigarette lighter or DIN socket (as found on some BMW, Honda & Triumph touring motorcycles) so I would assume It will talk to Canbus? And I would NOT connect any charger that pumps out more than one amp/hour
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

I don't think that's a problem. The Optimate 6 is designed to charge batteries in situ or when removed, with all the necessary checks and balances to protect your vehicle. It can offer between 0.4 to 5 Amps, as required, depending on your battery and electronics. My RT didn't go up in smoke anyway  ;)  but as I said, I'm no electrician.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The LC Battery.

OptiMate 6 : LED indicator lights, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__MxbtSceJs
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest5111

Post by guest5111 »

Thanks David. I've seen this video, but the lights are different to my version, as in the picture here ...

Attachments
Ampmatic Lights.jpg
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Moose v's the TecMate Optimate 6 Ampmatic are indeed slightly different.

Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.