Replacing windshield long swing arm 2005 RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Replacing windshield long swing arm 2005 RT

Post by jackronner »

The upper right swing arm broke at the attachment to the windshield.  I'd like to know how much disassembly I need to do, since there doesn't appear to be enough room to remove the swivel pins, especially the lower end with its 90 degree cylindrical slot for the lower pin.  It appears that I'll have to remove the windshield and the right side "cover".  It looks like in order to remove the main upper trim panel, I'll first have to remove the instrument panel cover.

Pls let me know if all, or any, of the above are necessary, any shortcuts, etc.  Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Replacing windshield long swing arm 2005 RT

Post by David. »

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Any help?  It's only exactly what I needed!!  I'd thought that the horseshoe-shaped part was one piece, making it seemingly impossible to push the pivot pins out in that narrow space.  This should be easy.  I gotta say that the metal upper swing arm must be made of pot metal.  Mine broke when I hit some medium-strength side-winds.  Very cheaply and weakly made ($81 US!).  Thanks so much for finding this (you must have a better search engine than I do - did you fit an after market turbo on it??)
Last edited by jackronner on Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:Mine broke when I hit some medium-strength side-winds.
Out of interest, is the windshield standard size or aftermarket.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Good point. You know, immediately I hit "post" I thought that I should've noted that mine is an extra-wide after market screen.  I also thought I should've suggested that, in side-wind conditions, one should lower the windscreen to avoid breakage.  During the same episode I lost both mirrors to the wind, but I'm sure it was my fault.  I didn't realize that they were only held on by press-on ball sockets, and had screwed on home made plastic deflectors since BMW doesn't provide the slightest protection against rain/wind crawling up your sleeves (something afforded by even the cheapest clip-on wind screens which typically flare out at the bottom for this purpose).  First the wind screen flapped, then the left and right mirrors flew off on the freeway within 30 seconds.  Would like to have seen the look on my face!  I later realized that the deflectors were caught in the side wind and popped them off.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have tried some Cee Baileys aftermarket screens, after finding that the electric motor sometimes struggled to raise/lower the screen at certain speeds, decided to revert back to the stock screen.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I have the larger version of the ZTechnik VStream fitted to our Twin Cam RT (The same screen was fitted to our previous bike, a Hexhead RT). Shortly after buying the screen I read of upper arm failures so I invested in the after market "steel arms" which I bought from a chap in Canada. Unfortunately I don't have the contact details to hand as this was quite some time ago, but a Google search should bring results. I have never noticed any reduction in the screen motor performance but there again I wouldn't attempt to carry out an "adjustment" whilst travelling at anything over about 50mph as the big Vstream is quite a lump" and must be taking a heavy load in high wind conditions. I do service the arm pivot bushes every winter to clean out any  road muck and grease them prior to re-assembly        .http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/apps/web ... ow/3658072

Have a look at the above link.

Last edited by Our Gee on Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.